1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Settings dor DVD Shrink ???????

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dabig25, Apr 17, 2005.

1. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Under quality settings, using DVD Shrink which settings do you think are

the best for the best picture quality ????

Looking to see what others opinions are.

2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

I personally use max smoothness for just about everything....

3. jmet

jmet Regular member

Adaptive Error Compensation or "AEC" as it is more commonly known is a quality enhancement feature released in DVD Shrink 3.2.

Although at high compression 30%+ (70% or less on slider) using AEC will provide better output results but better results come at a price - Time. The AEC settings love using up your CPU's juice. If you have a slow computer then it may take you a substantial while longer to make a backup, although (in my opinion) it is worth the wait. If you do not use the AEC settings your backup will be completed a lot sooner and you will yield similar results to version 3.1.7.6.

So which one to pick?

Using AEC under any setting is better than not using it. Max Sharp is the fastest, while Max smooth is the slowest.

I have found the default AEC setting is fine for most DVD's.

Max smoothness can be good when having around 50% compression. It can reduce or stop the pulsing/pumping effect that can appear from using too much compression.

The AEC is not normally activated at it full effect until below 80% on the compression slider. Max smoothness is activated all the time when it is chosen.

90-99.9% - Max Sharp

80-90% - Default Sharp

65-80% - Smooth

<65% - Max Smooth

4. zippyd

zippyd Active member