1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

settings observations in Gordian Knott

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by galladel, Dec 9, 2004.

1. galladel

galladel Member

well i've been using gordian knott for a while now(10+movies) and i noticed some stuff i wanted to share and see what everyone thinks. usually when im encoding movies i aim for the movies to be about 700-800kbit/sec bitrate to get some decent qualities what i found kind of weird is that when im doing that, i also try to hit the 1/6th dvd mark of about 750megs per movie. What i found weird was for some movies which are short(80 to 100 minutes) the quality was worse than for some movies that are longer (2+ hours). Even though they are close in average bitrate there is a noticeable difference in quality. I would like to point out that i do go above that 1/6th mark on some of them to get the "close to 700-800kbit/sec mark.
    Another thing that i noticed was some movies you download off of the internet are much better quality than the ones i encode at the same size. Is this because they are using more passes than me? I am currently using 2 pass xvid/divx would going more passes help in quality increase at the same size(target 750meg) if so how do i hit more passes with GK? there is a section on nth pass but i don't know how to set it up.

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

that is bacause some movie are easily compress and some aren't. it involves the level of detail on the picture.
    what you can do is denoising them more, use custom quant matrix for xvid....etc

3. Kingd

Kingd Guest

A compressibility test in Gknot will give you a good idea of how well movie's compress. Usually between 60-80 gives good quality. Use the compressibility test to help determine which resolution to back up at. After you run the test, you can move the slider to a lower resolution until the compressibility is in that range. After awhile, you'll get a good feel for what is a good range for you. As for quality, as Shiroh sais, you can change XViD settings like B-frames, Q-pel, etc and ofcourse use AVIsynth filters to filter the video, clean up artifacts, and smooth out the picture a bit. Search doom9 forums for recomendations on what filters to use.