1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Several Programs not Working after HD Transfer

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Deathbot, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Deathbot

Deathbot Member

Question for the Thinktank,

I am working on a friends laptop. I had to replace his HD and it's working fine, but several of the programs are looking for files that we do not have access to since it was a hand me down for him as well. Anyway, here are the problems I am having.

1. Word/ Excel are looking for an msp file and I cannot find it, even on the old drive, but it runs fine when I hook up the old drive via usb.

2. I have the symantec deletion tool to get rid of his jumbled mess of symantec, but it won't run until pc anywhere is deleted.. which I can't seem to do without the disc.

Any thoughts?

deathbot

2. steimy

steimy Active member

have you tried doing windows update? It may give you the needed files to get Word/Excel working correctly. That could also give you files that you had on the old drive that may have been updated that were not updated on the new drive.

3. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

or reinstall the program on the new drive

4. Deathbot

Deathbot Member

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I ended up doing a little research and I retransfered the files using Acronis True Image instead of the seagate utility and that reassociated all the files nicely. No problems.

5. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

great glad that worked