1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharing programs on a network....

Discussion in 'Resource center' started by venomX05, Aug 2, 2005.

1. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey peeps, what's up?

Ok, here is my problem...I am a little confused as to how and what I will need to do to create a couple of shared folders for programs and music on a wifi connection in my place.

I have went to my manufacturers site on how to do it, but it wasn't really that helpful. The thing is is that I have several pc's in the house and I need for all of them to be able to access a folder for programs/music/downloads (kind of in one central location) and pretty much just basic stuff. One interesting issue is that all the pc's have different OS on them. Now I read that somewhere along the lines, Windows 2000 has a P2P function in it, not sure if anyone has either tried this or not, but any info or direction on the matter would be great.

Currently, here is the list to the pc's OS's that I am trying to connect all too:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition w/SP1
    Microsoft Windows 2000
    and
    Microsoft Millenium

I would like to avoid hardwiring all of them to my router because it is kind of an eyesore, but if that is the only solution, any documentation/sites with info, would be great appreciated.

Catch yall in the forums and thanks for the input.

V.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try enabling filesharing either on the folders or the drives. i presume all the computers can see each other??

3. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey ddp,

Long time no forum!

About the option that you stated, I am assuming that you are referring to the option for the internet connection?

When I tried creating the work group, neither pc was seeing each other even though the network bridge was on.

Will take another crack at it. Thanks for the input, will let you know what I come up with!

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

not internet connection but home/small office network

5. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@venomX05

What ddp is referring to is a part of your Network Setup. Near the end of the setup process it asks about turning on printer and file sharing. Enable it and you should be fine.

If your PC's aren't seeing one another you should redo the network set up. This time, make sure the name of the network is different than before, enable the file sharing and you should be prompted to restart your PC. All should be good then.

6. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Hey venomX05, I just got your PM...you're welcome but no thank you's till we get it fixed all the way. Keep the thread posted and we'll do our best to help you get your issue taken care of. ; )