1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharing Uni connection over wifi with a router

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Osirls, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Osirls

Osirls Member

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to share my room's internet connection over wifi but am having trouble setting it up.
    I bought this router for the purpose: Safecom GWART2-54125

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/90975/show_product_specifications

I don't quite know what type of method the IT guys used to supply the university internet, but there is no software to be run on machines that connect.

If anyone could give me a simple pointer toward the right direction i'd be very greatful.

There are a lot of features on this router and so I am left quite baffled as of where to even begin.
    The router has 4 ethernet ports and one adsl port.

Thank you for any support,

Regards,
    Os

2. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

There should be a setup CD with it. If so, select DHCP protocol which assigns dynamic IP address to whomever connects to your router. Be sure wireless adapters are set to obtain IP automatically (under TCP/IP properties under network connections). I'd recommened setting up security like WEP/WPA so as only those with the key can gain access to the router.

Be sure your CAT5 cable from modem is in the WAN port of the router. Are there any particular settings your having trouble with?

3. Osirls

Osirls Member

That is something I was curious about: There is no WAN port on this router, just 4 ethernet ports and an adsl port (telephone cable socket).

In this case do I just plug the internet cable into my router and hope it connects or does this mean it's not possible to use as a bridge?

4. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

If you have high speed internet, then you will need a router with a WAN port. Telephone line will not carry the speed you need to achieve high speeds. I'd recommend returning the router you have and going to your local Wal-Mart and buying a Linksys WRT-54G. This is one of the most stable,reliable routers on the market and runs around $50-$60. The setup CD is easy to use to setup all configurations and takes about 10 minutes to setup.

5. Osirls

Osirls Member

So I cannot use this router to share the connection over wifi?

It is not possible for me to return the router so I will have to do what I can with what I have.

It does seem possible, but there are many settings and get confused.

Will the settings be under WAN?

6. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

If the CAT5 ethernet cable running from your modem cannot fit into a WAN port/ADSL port, then I don't see a way to do it. Ethernet cable is the only networking cable capable of transmitting data at high speeds. Telephone line can only transmit speeds up to 56k, which is dial-up.

Call Safecom customer service and see what they tell you. I'll look into it a bit more and check router specs and see if I can devise an alternate solution. Le me know if you make any progress. Sorry i couldn't be of more help.