1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

short in ac adapter or broken jack

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by stmaniac, Feb 26, 2012.

1. stmaniac

stmaniac Member

I have an asus g74sx laptop, I think my adapter has a short in it but I dont know for sure. My computer keep switching from ac to battery mode and when I play with the cord I it will start charging the battery. I bought a universal adapter from best buy about a week and a half ago, the problem with this new adapter is that head that will power my laptop dosent fit, and I have to fiddle with that cord to make it work. I also noticed that every once in a while the light on the adapter I bought turns off. I don't have that problem with the original adapter. So my question is do I have two bad adapters or could it be the jack in my laptop? Thanks for your help and for your time!!!

2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

I could be your original adapter has a broken wire in the cable from it bending most likely where the cable comes out of the adapter plug. The jack on the laptop could also be bent inside from taking it in and out a lot.You can take a look at the inside of the jack and see if you can bend the spring loaded contact out more so it touches the side of the adadpter plug.Usually you can do that with a jewelers screwdriver.The replacment adapter probably isn't making a good contact on the inside of the jack.You can also check both adapters with a a DC voltmeter to see if you have an output. They also sell the the repalcement adapters at Amazon.Try not to wiggle the plug from side to side when you unplug the adapter or eventually it can cause the jack to get loose inside and give you a bad connection.

http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-G53sw-G53sx-G73swrf-Charger/dp/B005NCYSQM

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  3. stmaniac

stmaniac Member

my laptop just died on me im not getting any power from the ac adapter? could it be the motherboard? The battery works, it ran for about 15 mins and than it died.

4. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

5. stmaniac

stmaniac Member

I dont think that it is the adapter, I tried it on another asus laptop and it worked just fine. So let me ask again am I having a motherboard or ac jack problem? Or could it be something else? Could it be a virus?

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

ac jack as in wall plug? won't be a virus. do you leave the power adapter plugged into the laptop but unplugged from wall when moving from room to room?

7. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

hahaha.. common.. it's the socket on the laptop, and is caused usually by leaving the plug in and bagging the lappy!!

Expect to pay around £40-60 to get it fixed.. it's not a "user" repair, you NEED to have laptop repair skills and soldering skills to be able to fix! This is where you have to do a value assessment.. IS it worth paying to get repaired, or maybe better to sell it on as "spares and repair" and get a new one.

I will fix them for cost + something in trade.. last power socket I did gained me 3x10 year old lappys with duff hdd's.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

that is what i figured too as just fixed 1 yesterday. cost the customer $81 which includes the new power socket daughter board as broke the barrel in the circuit board.

9. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

HMMM i charge £45 plus the cost of parts but I do a complete clean up at the same time
    back to the problem ..... it could be the socket in the laptop broken or detached from the motherboard

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012