1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Buy a Blu Ray Dvd Player or a PS3?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by hulud86, Jan 19, 2008.

1. hulud86

hulud86 Member

So i decided to purchase a Blu Ray player because lets face it they are going to win the high def battle for sure. But im not sure if i should just get a Blu Ray dvd player or a PS3. I need help!

The dvd player puts out better sound with my dobly digital, but the PS3 is almost the same price. But the PS3 is pretty shitty and i already own a Xbox 360, so i dont know what i want.

Give me your choice and why.

2. frederic1

frederic1 Member

The PS3 has much better compatibility (divx, xvid, WMVHD, mpeg4, etc. etc.) and compatibility increases as you download firmware updates. But on the other hand it's made for game, not movies, it's as if you bought a PS2 to play DVDs on it :)

3. hulud86

hulud86 Member

Yeah i think im going to get a PS3. I mean they are both the same price so why not. If the player was cheaper than that would change my mind. There arent any games for the PS3 that really caught my eye so i think thats the only reason ive had second thoughts.

4. _H06_

_H06_ Guest

you see certain movies need specific players to play on. Like early adopters of the blu-ray player may not be able to play movies that come on in 2009. This is because those movies only play on the latest firmwares. so what im trying to say here is newer Blu-Ray players have newer firmware, and the only blu-ray player able to update its firmware is the PS3

5. frederic1

frederic1 Member

That's not true my friend ;)

I have a Panasonic DMP-BD10A :
    http://www.afterdawn.com/hardware/product_details.cfm/1161/panasonic_dmp-bd10

... and it can update firmware :
    http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/bd/download/bd10/bd10a.html

I'm even pretty sure most DVD players do, most of the time, the update process consists in burning the new firmware on a CDR and feed it to the dvd (or bd) player.

6. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

I use my PS3 thus far, not wanting to purchase a BD standalone just yet. It works great, and the ease of the firmware updating process is pretty sweet too.

7. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

I don't know as I believe that blu ray might not survive. I believe that the next gen of high def will take over and as of present unless major changes take place, I think blu ray will be a loser too. In conclusion, I'm not geting a hd player (BD) yet.

8. hulud86

hulud86 Member

Yeah maybe HD DVD and Blu Ray wont really catch on and people just stick with normal dvds. I dont want that to happen though. Im putting my money on Blu Ray.

9. mystro

mystro Regular member

yeeee

10. frederic1

frederic1 Member

me too

11. _H06_

_H06_ Guest

Let Me refer you to this article my friend :p
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/12619.cfm

and @ iluvendo

you got to be kidding me right, Blu-Ray wont Survive!!??? I wont refer you to a link, because all you have to do is go to the afterdawn homepage

12. xdgen84

xdgen84 Member

I'd go with the PS3