1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I buy Anydvd or DVD Fab Platinum?

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by M3fan, Apr 21, 2007.

1. M3fan

M3fan Guest

Both are priced the same, $49, but I was wondering which program will be a better investment. The thing with Anydvd is that when used in conjunction with CloneDVD, the encoding is pretty quick. The downside to this is that it cannot always compress movies at 100% nor allow you to customize.

What are your thoughts? Thanks.

2. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

clonedvd 2 and anydvd is definitely the better choice

and you can customize with clonedvd 2 with the drop down box at the bottom of clonedvd 2 . plus you can use a DL blank on the longer movies .heres a guide

http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2007
  3. taylor30

taylor30 Regular member

DvdFab Platinum. It's cheaper than AnyDvd and CloneDvd($68) together. It also has more features like Clone,Split and Merge. I think DvdFab is going to provide some serious competition for Slysoft especially after the price hike.

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I use them both!!!! I like DVDFab Decrypter for my iPod conversions and it's easy to use. but when I just want to copy and burn my DVDs I use AnyDVD and CloneDVD because they are fast and easy to do! Just remember that if you want the best quality then burning to a DL disk is needed to copy the whole disk. But most movies will fit nicely onto a DVD5 (not a dual layer disk.. single layer disk). I don't transcode any movie under 80% quality! I use DVDRebuilder for those movies and that is the best program to get the best quality out of those longer movies on DVD!

getting back to your question ..... I use DVDFab Decrypter for one thing and AnyDVD + CloneDVD for another. both are great and I would buy them all..... here are my other programs:

[​IMG]

5. M3fan

M3fan Guest

Ihoe, you are loaded. Wow. Just curious, why still have the basic software for DVD Fab when you have the premium edition? Regarding the price for Anydvd and Clonedvd, I don't the price of $68 is accurate; last I checked, each program costs $49 on slysoft's website. But for $99, they are throwing in other popular programs (minus the HDD and Blue Ray programs). That said, DVD Fab Platinum costs half the price and you don't need to purchase another software to operate it.

To MichaeP1, I never knew you could customize with CloneDVD2 (BTW, what is "DL blank?"). So are you saying I will always be able to compress movies at 100% when using slysoft's softwares? When I tried to make the new 007 movie, the compression rate was pretty bad (around 50%). I tried dvdshrink and dvd fab decryptor, but both failed to overwrite protection. In this respect, kudos to anyDVD.

6. M3fan

M3fan Guest

Ihoe, you are loaded. Wow. Just curious, why still have the basic software for DVD Fab when you have the premium edition? Regarding the price for Anydvd and Clonedvd, I don't the price of $68 is accurate; last I checked, each program costs $49 on slysoft's website. But for $99, they are throwing in other popular programs (minus the HDD and Blue Ray programs). That said, DVD Fab Platinum costs half the price and you don't need to purchase another software to operate it. I'm sure it's a win-win situation if you own both programs, but I don't know if I want shell out $150 plus dollars, though in the long run the cost will pay for itself.

To MichaeP1, I never knew you could customize with CloneDVD2 (BTW, what is "DL blank?"). So are you saying I will always be able to compress movies at 100% when using slysoft's softwares? When I tried to make a copy of the new 007 movie, the compression rate was pretty bad (around 50%). I tried dvdshrink and dvd fab decryptor, but both failed to overwrite protection. In this respect, kudos to anyDVD. All in all, which software updates more regularly?

7. club42

club42 Regular member

DL is dual layer media. If you burner supports them you can back up your dvd's without any compression.
    The only problem is they cost a lot more.
    Not sure what you are saying. If you mean the compression ratio then that will be the same no matter what program you use. It just depends on the size of your source vrs your target media.

8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@ M3Fan....... I have DVDFab Decrypter as a ripper only! I use DVDFab Platinum for burning and also for converting to MPEG4s for my iPod! I love them both.

CloneDVD has for DVD5 and DVD9(that's a DL disk--Dual Layer)

9. M3fan

M3fan Guest

Club42, I guess I wasn't being clear. what I meant to say was that when I'm trying to copy certain movies (especially movies with large file sizes), CloneDVD fails to burn at 80%-100% range, whereas a program like DVDshrink usually fares better. T.V. series is a perfect example. Last night, I burned 5 episodes of Grey's Anatomy onto one single layer disc using DVD fab decryptor (minus full menus and additional bonus materials), and the quality was rated 100%. Previously, when I attempted to fit 3 episodes of Alias onto one disc, for example, using CloneDVD, the quality was only at, I believe, 53% (can't quite remember the exact number.). Thus I'm thinking DVD Fab Platinum is a better buy for your money because it can encode movies always at 100%. Am I off here?

10. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

yeah your off. the size of the file is the same no matter what program your using some do a better job transcoding and compressing the file than others. like using dvd shrink in the "Deep Analysis" mode gives you better quality than clonedvd 2 but you can use a DL media with clonedvd 2 as a option for NO compression

11. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I agree with MichaelP1! the files are the same no matter what program you are using! If CloneDVD shows quality is less than 80% then I use DVDRebuilder Pro w/CCE! Now that will give you the best quality because it's an encoder..... much better than a transcoder.... which CloneDVD, Shrink and DVDFab Platinum is. soooo if you are really looking for quality then use Rebuilder...... but it will take time...... lots more time than a transcoder.

12. M3fan

M3fan Guest

You're right on the quality setting, I forgot that when quality is set at 100% you have to select DVD-9. I'm a little confused why the free edition only has DVD-9, whereas the paid version has both DVD-5 and DVD-9 options. Dual layer discs cost too much at the present moment and so if I'm going with DVD-5 quality setting, it's really a toss-up between DVD Fab and Anydvd, though must say IMO DVD Fab is still a better buy mainly because of the lower cost.

13. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

ok heres what i do when using clonedvd 2 i take out the extras and do the movie only as long as the compression in about 80% you aren't going to notice a picture quality difference. below 80% i use a DL