1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I choose widescreen or standard format?

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by karatone, Aug 28, 2003.

1. karatone

karatone Regular member

I don't have a wide screen tv yet so I was wondering if i should be choosing widescreen over Standard format on DVDs that give the option.I have been doing widescreen with seemingly no problems,but would my back-ups look better in standard format? I feel like i should do one of each but the time factor has got me doing only one of the two.Any advice would be helpful,thanks!

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You probably wouldnt have a letter box when viewing movies, or if you still did it wouldnt be as bad. Maybe since you dont use a widescreen tv, 4:3 might be better for you. However, you will be missing some of the picture. I personally always chose widescreen.

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I always choose 4:3 if given the choice , as I only have a 28" TV (non-widescreen)

4. greyy1

greyy1 Guest

I always choose Widescreen as well, even tho I have one, I sometimes watch them on other TV's. I don't mind letterbox that much on a 4:3 but I HATE them on the widescreen (where you have to put the tv in 4:3 and then got bars on the sides and on the top!) ConAir was a DVD like this.

I figure that even this isn't as bad as the chopped off sides because I figure there has got to be a way to crop it and reformat it to be "enhanced for widescreen televisions" like you wish it said on the box, and you can see it in true widescreen.

Any tips on easy prgs to do this? I figured I could bust out Virtual Dub or Flask or something, or possibly will TMPGEnc do this?