1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I get a standalone or a dvd burner for computer?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by zap4, Nov 12, 2002.

1. zap4

zap4 Guest

Do you think I should get a Panasonic DMR-HS2 or a dvd burnwer for the computer such as the Sony DRU-500A or the Pioneer AO5? If I get the burner for my computer, I would also get a tv tuner. Would this cause a decrease in quality from my TV cable? The TV tuner I would get would probably be the creative digital vcr. What are some positive and negative differences between a standalone and a pc burner?

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Standalone - easier/faster to achieve the end result, but not much flexibility. More expensive. Essentially you get a DVD bunrner/TV tuner/Hardware MPEG encoder in one package.

PC DVD burner - Cheaper and more flexible, but more difficult/longer to do a simple transfer from VCR to DVD, because you need to capture/encode/author/burn.

If you're intending on doing VCR/TV to DVD mainly, I would suggest the standalone. If DVD to DVD is what you're going to be doing, then I would go for the PC burner.

Rgds,
    jnihil.