1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should i get blu-ray burner?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by nick81381, May 21, 2009.

1. nick81381

nick81381 Member

just wondering, and it may have been answered already, but i was wondering, would it be worth it right now to get a blu-ray writer? asking b/c i didn't know if the ripping and burning process of the blu-ray is a hassle, or if it's about as simple as the dvd process.....if so, what software should i use and i'll take it from there....i just wanted to know the difficulty of the process before i purchase and realize how much of a hassle it really is...thanks

2. dailun

dailun Active member

Kindly define "hassle", since you've used twice in your post.

Ease of use usually equates to how much time you want to spend learning how to do it.

If you want "idiot proof", I'd suggest that you skip it.

Also, it's more expensive and time consimung.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  3. nick81381

nick81381 Member

nah....i'm not the type to be lazy about something that im really interested in trying to learn to do.....compared to the whole 'dvd' process, how difficult is the bluray process...im just asking before i spend my money on a writer, but im willing to learn....when i say 'hassle', im asking whether it's one of those things that you have to sit in front of the pc for 4 hours just trying to get it to perform the way you want it to....but yes, im willing to learn how to do it...and, compared to actual original bluray, how does the burn copy look compared to the original?

4. byngo

byngo Regular member

Bluray disks are not cheap enough yet in my opinion.
    Most bluray disks are larger than a single layer BD_R (25gig) so you would need to either shrink the ripped file or buy the 50 gig capable disks. Ouch!!

The other option is to keep them on a large HDD like 1Tb (Comparbly cheap) and even better if the files are shrunk.

Re-Authoring a bluray to say, fit on a DVD-9 strips away to quality back to DVD and takes a long processing time (Google BD-Rebuilder).

The best and fairly pain free option is to strip out video and audio and subtitles you don't want which is'nt actually re-encoding as such.
    You can save a HD main movie only, 1 audi track and 1 subtitle and get the file down to anywhere between 16 to 30 gig. (it might then fit on a BD-R disk).
    The video quality will not be affected. Audio can be kept at full bitrate (eg True HD) or slimmed down to AC3 5.1 or even stereo, (depends what system you have to listen to it on?)

This process takes under two hours on a dual or quad core PC.
    Google a GUI called Clown_BD. This program pulls together other command line type programs (ac3to and Tsmuxer) into a pretty simple almost one click method of stripping out what you don't need.
    The most important software that you will find invaluable is ANYDVD HD. You will need this to be able to either rip the Bluary to create a back-up of bluarys you own or to allow Clown-BD to do what it does staright from the Disk you own.

There you go!!!

5. deathkron

deathkron Member

NO! Forget price. It's an absolute nightmare. I suppose if you can devote your life to trying to get one disc burnt then go ahead. There's a mishmosh of semi-developed programs (to liter your desktop with) to install and make work with each other and good luck with that. It's not that they are hard to understand, it's that it seems to be a crapshoot as to whether they will work or not...and depending on your system, it will be hours (many hours) before you know. I fell into the false belief that since I burned over 200 regular dvds using tools like shrink and decryptor, and since I have my own computer tech company, that this wouldn't be that difficult. HAHAHA If you're a software engineer with a good understanding of media codecs and how to debug errors and whatnot, go ahead. If not, be prepared to spend many hours searching for answers. My advice..wait until somebody finally makes a program that's user friendly and stable. Then again, you might just get lucky. hope so :)

6. imhay

imhay Member

THANK YOU! I have been wondering if it was time to go into B.Ray even though very, very happy with standard dvds and Shrink and etc. even using our projector and I have an easy to understand answer that the time has not yet arrived.
    THANKS again - I will remain happy with dvds.

7. djkrishna

djkrishna Regular member

Its not that hard to make backup of ur orginals on bluray

newwegg.com is having sale on bd-burner which will burn bd-r dl too
    for 160.00
    and most of my orginal movies will come under 25gb (movie only and one or two audio)which is single layer and most catalog i would say 30% are under 25gb
    now 25gb disc on sale now a days online 2.50 each and which is not bad at all

8. sak50

sak50 Member

djkrishna where are they for $2.50

9. djkrishna

djkrishna Regular member

I got it from ebay 50 pcs spindle
    if u r not comfortable to buy from ebay
    frys got sale once every month 3.00 apiece 15 pk spindle

10. yogi799

yogi799 Member

Man, I could not agree more. I have recently bought a nice HD Sony Camcorder which came with Picture Motion Browser software, which is a complete piece of sh%^, HOWEVER one this it does very well - is allows you to burn all your home videos (w/o any editing, though) easily and actually super quickly to a DVD-like medium, then play it back on a BD player.

HOWEVER, here comes the nightmare part... I have just shot a church event which needed professional post-production... SO I went with a trial version of Sony Vegas Studio, which too me no time to learn and allowed me to do some awesome effects and editing to my movie. I was also able to save the final post-production clip to a miniDV format (Std Def AVI) which I quickly burned to regular DVDs and gave to my clients... However, I wanted a true, neat HD version for myself...

FORGET IT!!!!!!!!!! Even though Sony Vegas Studio has TONS of exporting options NOT a single option/format allowed me to export my final clip in HD to be burnt (to DL, or BD disk). Been trying all combinations, format, then importing them into PMB and so on and no luck. After one week, 5 hrs a day and countless nights of processing clips by my PC, I am officially GIVING UP on trying to burn my post-production clip. It is IMPOSSIBLE! (I was able to burn something after many tries, however, the quality got reduced visibly, far away from true sharpness of original m2ts files from my camcorder).

If someone knows a way - please share, if not I completely agree with the previous poster. The market still has not came up with ANYTHING to make this work. You would think using a SONY camcorder and its own editing software to edit it would work... What a bad surprise... Lost a lot of faith in this company, even though it's hardware (camcorder) is just awesome! Software sucks completely... Tried Cyberlink BD Solution and it sucks even more. Don't even bother with it.

So, if you just want something simple with no edits and no custom intro menus, etc. - just plain burn to BD disk - you are safe. Don't ask for anything else, though.

11. elliott

elliott Regular member

Wow I just bought a lite-on Blu-Ray reader/dvd/cd burner combo. One of the things I decided was I wanted a reader so I can rent or buy Blu-Ray discs to watch. The price of a burner right now is just to high very close to what a player costs. I decided if I went blu then I would buy my discs and only the movies I really really want like sci-fi, action, special f/x type films that truly benefit from the HD quality and not fuss with three men and a pooch type movies. I did read a bit about ripping BD and when I figure how much I paid to build my Blu-Ray HTPC, my sound system, & HDTV why the heck would I want to litter it with rips. Now I used to do alot of encoding and ripping and dvd discs have gotten so cheap its actually cheaper to rip and burn a disc than ever, but the whole point at least imho of going blu is for the film enthusiast. I do see a difference in the overall video quality but that doesn't really affect my enjoyment of Pineapple Express however it greatly enhances my enjoyment of Lort of the Rings.

12. killalot

killalot Active member

Elliott, if you watch lord of the rings my friend you need to get out more... :)

13. elliott

elliott Regular member

lol kill I get out enough but I must admit I watch those movies alot along with the entire Aliens series...haha