1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should i upgrade to windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by kenio8185, Jan 14, 2009.

1. kenio8185

kenio8185 Regular member

I just heard a few days ago that microsoft developed a new windows because vista got a lot of bad rep. Anyways, should i upgrade or leave vista on my computer, i'm not sure if I will get any actual advantage from upgrading. Would someone tell me what the advantages are from going from vista to windows 7, and if it's worth it?

2. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

Windows 7 appears to be TONS better than Vista, however, it is still in Beta, meaning it is not a finalized piece of software. There could be stability issues or bugs that have not been worked out yet. There is not a release date for Windows 7, but rumor has it that it may be out at the end of 2009 or early 2010.

For the time being, I would suffer with Vista, or go back to using XP if you have it.

3. Mez

Mez Active member

I am glad to hear M$ can do something right. They seem to be putting out amazingly crappy junk these days. Maybe they hired back some of the old boys. Even though I complain a lot I would rather be using solid software that I do not feel the need to complain.

If they continued as they were they would have eventually gone belly up. The world could not afford to lose a M$. How many years has Vista been out? It still is not as stable as XP. What kind of nonsense is that? M$ had the gall to blame low sales on pirates. XP is still selling strong even though you have to jump through hoops to get it. Why were the pirates only pirating Vista?

4. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

I really hate companies with their calculations and expectations. As soon as they fail to reach their "goal" it immediately becomes "losses" and they blame everything from pirates to the economy.

Hollywood had a big year and record breaking box offices. Yet they blame pirates.

Retailers are crying over % sales being "down" but they fail to mention how they are STILL making money hand over fist.

The company I work for is starting to do this now. It irks me. When will these greedy corporations realize you can't "lose" 2 apples if you don't have 2 apples? It's simple mathematics. If you make 1 apple, it's still better than 0 apples!

5. kenio8185

kenio8185 Regular member

alright thanks for the help.

6. kenio8185

kenio8185 Regular member

Last I heard, microsoft was blaming their losses on Apple's. Their smear campaign on windows vista really did a number. I'm not a microsoft fanboy but i really hate those mac vs pc commercials. I know a fair bit about computers and I have used Microsoft and Apple computers. Apple computers are very simple and very limiting, their hardware is crap compared to something you can get with microsoft for the same price, however, their OS is far more stable than vista and uses far less power. So their computers can still handle more.

Anyways, about those mac vs pc commercials. Some of them are right (although thats a very small number of them, like 2 i think). Majority exaggerate the truth and make it seem far worse than it actually is and a small portion of them (again, like 2 or 3) are just plain wrong and are outright lies. Anyways, i will say that I like microsoft comps better than apples.

Anyways, I was reading somewhere (it was a magazine but i can't remember which one) that it was those commercials that made microsoft lose a lot of their sales to apple. Because idiots don't do their research and don't realize that microsoft is better (althoug I will admit vista was kind of a failure but it's a step in the right direction, they just didn't put enough time on it. It looks really nice, better than Apple comps in my opinion).

I hope this windows 7 will be what microsoft needs, an OS that looks nice and runs well, then apple will have nothing in comparison.

Ps. By reading this i can see that i actually am a microsoft fan boy (i know, shame on me) but i was using a fair comparison. I did state that the apple os is awesome, its just that with windows 7, hopefully that won't matter since windows 7 will (hopefully) be very stable.

sry for my lil rant.

7. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

I liked your little rant. I agree that most of the "I'm a Mac" commercials are lies and propaganda for Apple fanboys.

I'm far from being an MS or Apple fanboy and I dislike or enjoy many of both companies products (Xbox 360 and iPod) but they should stay out of each other's business, especially since their business directly correlates with one another. MS is the oldest third party software maker for the Mac platform, and I highly doubt that the iPod would be king without the PC universe.

MS shouldn't worry about Apple at all, unless Apple starts putting out OEM versions of Mac OSX for vendors such as Dell or HP, which I'm pretty sure will NEVER happen.

Mac OSX is very stable, but limited. As a PC Tech and general "know it all" to those who have little computer experience, I'm always asked "should I buy a Mac or PC?" My response always includes asking whether they just use the internet and email, or if there's something they REALLY need their computer for. Almost always, cost is a factor too.

From my personal experience, since I own both, the Mac OSX uses less resources, but ever notice how picky systems can be to upgrade when it comes to video cards, memory or hard drives? It's rather annoying to be locked into their platform.

On the other hand, the PC is far from maintenance free. Most people are oblivious to antivirus/spyware protection and junk up their machines. Worse yet, there are vendors such as Dell, Gateway, etc. that offer terrible support, or products that are doomed to fail from the start ($300 Celeron laptops with 512mb of RAM running Vista!)

I think MS receives too much of the blame in this department, though they are criminally guilty of foisting Vista onto the masses, and trying to pull the rug from under the OS that refuses to die: Windows XP.

8. Mez

Mez Active member

Ahh, an Apple roast!

The only reason the Mac adds work is Vista. I would never purchase it. I had a chance to get it for the 'price of S&H' and passed that up but took them up on the other offers.

I love Apple's spin that the Apple is too strong and advanced to get viruses. What a joke.

15 minutes ago I got a reply from a Mac user. None of her various Apple devices would play the wma I sent her. I loath Apple. M$ appears ethical when compaired with Apple, the back bitting weasles. If you listen to them they invented the mp3 player.

I too recommend Macs to the computer challanged. The definition of computer literate for those over 40 is the ability to email, surf the web and use a word processor. Macs can do that and more. Macs have their place. They will become a bit more of a challange to M$ now that the OS runs on an Intel platform. Like the viruses, no one was willing to write software for such a small population.

9. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

@kenio8185

If you want to play with Windows 7 BETA, go ahead, I have it installed on the kid's computer and it is running fine with no bugs yet. They like it because it is "Shiny" i.e. lots of eye candy. If you have another hard drive laying around, go ahead and slap it in and play with it, remember as a beta this thing is free, but no support except for other users here and at microsoft forums. Also, if you get a key from them, the OS will run until 01Aug2009, and after that, who knows what will happen, but you will eventually have to buy the final release, they won't let you keep it because you tested it, unlike some other companies out there.

My personal opinion is that this is a marketing ploy to get everyone hooked on the "Shiny" and decide to upgrade from XP and skip Vista all together. But, we shall see.

10. Mez

Mez Active member

Thanks for that tip. I hate eye candy. I guess I am just too old. I especially hate eye candy when it detracts from performance. Hotmail sometimes barely loads/times out on a fast connection because of all the goodies filling the screen. Writing an email app that requires more speed than cable or a T10 line to edit text really pisses me off.

11. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

Yeah, however, 7 actually runs FAST with the eye candy compared to Vista. Don't let the shiny package fool you, I have this puppy running quickly on a P4 (single core w/HT) 3.0 ghz system with 1gb of DDR2 533, and it's faster than XP on the same system too.

MS wasn't full of "bs" when they said Windows 7 would work properly on some older systems.

12. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

FYI
    the system I am using is an ancient PIV, 1.9 GHZ processor, 1.0 Gig of RAM, 512 MByte video card. Windows 7 is starting to grow on me like moss on an old Ivy league school.

13. pomp3y

pomp3y Regular member

i have windows 7 and i think upgrading from vista was the best thing i ever done i had to use vista when i built my pc because the graphics card needed it to run properly i did think vista was that bad considering my system is a celeron d processor 767MB ram and a 256 video card but yeah there was some bugs in it but nothing to bad my system has the same spec and windows 7 is running great its a lot faster than vista and i haven't seen any bugs yet at all programs are compatible with windows 7 if some has problems then like on vista and older operating systems you can set the option of running that program under vista xp and so on
    i highly recommend you upgrade to windows 7 yes it is a beta and it will need to be activated now the part im not sure about is if your vista is a real version will you need to have a new key for it as your only upgrading but i do know there is cracks patches and so on out for this and yes they do work
    the reason im not sure is because i was allowed to test windows 7 in the earlier stages and i was given a key which only worked on this pc
    but end of the day dude its up to you i would and i have
    hope this helps you and anyone else who is thinking about upgrading to windows 7