1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shouldmy ip address change ?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by ballboy88, Aug 18, 2007.

1. ballboy88

ballboy88 Regular member

i have virginmedia 2Mb broadband and am using a wireless router, obviously my routers internal address stays the same but when i've been doing speed tests ive noticed my ip address has changed a couple of times. is this normal ?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if set to dynamic then ip will change. if given a set of numbers by provider then is set as static & ip does not change.

3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I thought even on a static IP it changed every so often (as in months/a year)?

4. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

With a static IP you are paying for exactly that. it remains the same, the IP is reserved specially for you - this is part of how the internet works. Even if your connection is broken you will be given the same IP when you reconnect. It can be esential to businesses for them to remain so.

With a dynamic IP your provider will give you an IP from their personal range, and may asign a different IP each time you reconnect. Always on connections (eg: cable DSL) will keep their dynamic IP until disconnected, and will be asigned a new one when reconnected.

I have seen BTs servers asign my dynamic IP to another user within 20 seconds of me disconnecting, I have seen Telewest give me back the same dynamic IP address having been disconnected for 3 hours...

5. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

Sounds like Virgin are disconnecting you between tests - it may only be for a milli-second but by definition you cannot have your IP address change and remain connected at the same time, the adapter would have to disconnect for it to update...

6. ballboy88

ballboy88 Regular member

yeah, i checked my router settings and it's on dynamic ip so that'll be it then. althuogh i thought i had set up a static ip for myself when i changed the tcp protocol when forwarding a port for my wireless router, but not for the first time i'm probably wrong in my guesstimations. thanks for the info peeps.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no problem, teach & learn