1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shrink and decrypter now running slow

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by iracekx, Jan 12, 2005.

1. iracekx

iracekx Member

I have been using shrink and decypter for some time now with no problems on average 45 min to rip movie in shrink and 14 min and 40 sec to burn movie. Sunday morning I wake up to see Norton antivirus has a problem says remove I remove it put another brand anti virus on computer now it takes 1 hour and 20 min to rip movie tried old ones that I have done before so I know from past experience with movie and it takes 48-59 min to burn movie again movies that I have done before with no problems. I have went in and updated both programs that did not help. I went into device manager and set from pio to dma that still did not help. The problem looks that it writes and reads at .09x to 1.1x I have set everything back to default I have tried max speed 2x and 4x speed and still the fastest it rips or writes now is 1.1x. I know that some of you gurus have ran accross this already I hope and have a cure because my shrink and decrypter have the slowdem speed disease. Thank you Thank you for all your help.

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Make sure your DVD-ROM is in DMA mode, Not PIO mode.

Go to device manager in the list click on IDE controlers Go thru the IDE cables in the list make sure thay are all in DMA mode.

Right click IDE Cable: Properties/Advance setting tab.

Make sure they are in DMA

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

iracekx,

Try going into your device manager, disable your dvdrw, reboot, go back in and enable your dvdrw. No guarantees but I've heard where this has fixed similar problems.

4. iracekx

iracekx Member

I have done that went in and changed to dma I have uninstalled secondary drive still rips and burns way too slow compared to what it used to. now when you go to device manager sencondary drive does not have advance settings tab the primary ide channel has the advanced settings tab and it shows device 0 transfer mode dma if avaiable current transfer mode pio only. Device 1 auto dection on transfer mode dma if available and current transfer is not applicable. I have read and tried all kinds of things I am getting frustrated hopefully someone can help.

5. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

Have you tried dissabling your anti virus while doing your backups. Just a thought.
    HW.

6. iracekx

iracekx Member

Tried both those tips no luck with either.

7. well3374

well3374 Member

iracekx,
    I have the exact same problem. Last Saturday night everything was ship shape, ripping and burning at about 20-25 minutes, but Sunday morning when I woke up the speed has dropped for both ripping and burning. I did the same things that were suggested in this thread, but also had no luck. Have you discovered anything that helps?!

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

@ iracekx & well3374

By any chance do you both use AOL?

9. well3374

well3374 Member

I don't use AOL, I go through Comcast. I guess a little more background on my situation. I used to get extremely slow rip and burn speeds before I bought an external hard drive. I didn't expect the times to increase much when I bought it, but they did...so I thought it had something to do with the extra memory or something. Sorry if that sounds dumb, but I don't know much about computers. So it's been fine until last Saturday night. It almost seems like my computer reset something and reverted to old settings or something, but who knows.

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

The reason I mentioned AOL is because of their new Anti Virus programming. My friends Laptop went to a crawl after he loaded it. What was most noticeable was while booting up, it took forever to load his desktop icons. We uninstalled AOL’s stuff and reloaded Norton 2005 which put it back to the way it was.

11. bombbay41

bombbay41 Guest

iracekx, I'm very new to this also I had a similar problem w/ external hard drive a week ago. I simply shut down (powered off)computer, unhooked external drive's power and unhooked FireWire from tower to external, waited 5 min, re-hooked FW and powered up external, then rebooted computer. Simplistic, but worked for me.

ScubaBud may have good suggestion about virus/firewall, maybe should get off Net when burning and disable most uneeded startup items in MSconfig.

HP Media Center m1050e, Athlon 3700+, 2.4G processor

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2005
  12. iracekx

iracekx Member

I did a system restore cleaned everything off my computer now I am back to ultra dma 5 on the primary drive and ultra dma 2 on the secondary drive and it is flyin again. I know it's a pain to do that but I got crap cleaned off my computer that I did'nt want anymore and I got my high speeds back. I had tried several other things mentioned on other forum boards I spent more time reseaching than I did doing a sytem restore. Hope this helps let me know what you end up doing.

13. well3374

well3374 Member

That's great everyone got it working, I did as well. I uninstalled my primaery IDE channel in device manager and when I rebooted, it reset to DMA.