1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink size of movie files?

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Peach1468, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Peach1468

Peach1468 Member

I'm kind of new at this movie-making thing, so please let me know if I've posted on the wrong forum . . . but I'm trying to shrink the size of my movie files that I already have on my HD and want to know if there's anything free I can use to do that? They're edited versions of movies, and they are NeroMediaPlayer media files.

2. onya

onya Guest

Hi Peach1468, Are we talking about YOUR OWN movies or movies that you'd ripped to your HDD? If you really wanna' know about FREEWARE, then you're at the right place. Tell us what programs you have installed(standard or otherwise) at this point, and we'll go from there!

Cheers.

3. Peach1468

Peach1468 Member

Hi, Onya:
    I'm referring to movies I've ripped to my HD. The programs I have installed are:

MPEG Video Wizard DVD
    ConvertX to DVD (found this has better picture quality than Nero)
    Dvd-Cloner IV
    Nero, Version 6

They're really taking up a lot of room on my HD and I'd like to know how to decrease their size. Thanks!

4. onya

onya Guest

Yep, absolutely they will take up ALOT of space(each 4.7GB) on your hdd,therefore my suggestion is to get another INTERNAL HD or an EXTERNAL HD drive that suits your needs.Perhaps something in the order of 500GB(105 movies on average) can be STORED on it. Better than that...burn 'em to DVD discs, why have them stored on your computer, when DISC form is LESS intrusive?. If you need freeware then here we go.. How about clicking on the "SOFTWARE TAB" on this sites main page, then downloading DVD Shrink, it's free, then use the link on my SIG PIC for Menushrink, it's also free...So far so good...NOW, if your SERIOUS, please use AnyDVD or Alcohol 120%, BOTH have trial versions..but COST MONEY afterwards. I personally LOVE these apps,well worth the bucks, and know that there are many AD users that feel the same...HOWEVER there so MANY GOOD freebies out there that you can use, that I ask you to use these with some discretion(not that there's any harm to your rig)because some software can cause ISSUES with the operation of one and the other.Alcohol 120% copies PS and PS2 Games also, with no major hassle.Now if I'm not mistaken..your gonna get other postings, with some very good advice..... OOP'S last but NOT least, if you need some sort of guide as to using most of the software/freeware apps....no probs..many a good link are available for this.

All the very best and keep us posted,

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2007
  5. Peach1468

Peach1468 Member

Thanks for your reply! The movies are actually episodes of the TV Series 24. Each season has 24 episodes. I've edited all 24 episodes of the first season and burned one complete set -- 2-3 episodes per DVD for myself. Why keep them on the HD? I promised a family member that I would make a copy for them. While I can make a copy of my burned DVDs DVD to DVD using DVD Cloner-IV and just be done with it, I need to make sure my set is okay first. If while watching my set I notice a problem but have already deleted the files, I'll not be able to burn another good copy without editing the movie all over again. Time consuming...

The directions you just gave for DVD Shrink -- is that for after I get a new HD, or can I use that now?

6. onya

onya Guest

You can us shrink right now, this is a compression engine after all..no probs(don't forget menu shrink also). To add to your circumstance, I KEEP ALL MY FAMILY'S FAV'S on HDD(external)Way easier to re-copy when needed.

Sounds like you've got it right, Do you find the end quality fairly good when you place one episode and more on the one DVD? Please read Menu shrink and it's guide to get even BETTER quality..hope this helps.
    What problems are there that you have deleted?(just curious)

Ps: I use AnyDVD to decrypt, then use Shrink and Menu shrink to finally give me great results(no one complains)

Cheers.

7. Peach1468

Peach1468 Member

Oh, those are two separate issues. The problem I was referring to was the freezing of the movie when playing. The deleting I'm doing is editing -- taking out cursing and scenes so that it's pleasant and family friendly (amazing to me how much of that stuff is SO unnecessary). That stuff clutters the mind . . . what's supposed to be private & beautiful isn't anymore . . .

As a side note, actually found an amazing invention; ClearPlay (www.clearplay.com). Special DVD player that houses over 2,300 movie filters at once. You download the filters onto a memory stick & stick it into their $99 DVD player. You can buy any movie you have the filter for, and it cuts out the language and the scenes! All new movies have a filter created for them within 48 hrs. Amazing to watch Mission Impossible 3 without language or scenes -- pure fun (pun completely intended). =) They sell out all the time trying to keep up with demand. Lots of families miss the cleanliness of TV.

ANYWAY, I already learned the hard way -- I deleted the files for Episodes 1 and 2 and then watched it and there was a place or two where the movie froze. I was then stuck; I had to re-edit the movie all over again (instead of trying a second burn) because the files were gone.

Before doing that, I tried to rescue the files with a million programs but it couldn't be found. If you have any suggestions for fixing that kind of a problem once a DVD has been burned, let me know; might save me some work next time. =)

8. onya

onya Guest

Now that sounds good to me, This SYSTEM you mention,as far as I'm aware..doesn't exist in Australia(yet)..I need to get out more..LOL
    And where family values are concerned, a RED face being grasped by both hands, whilst watching the latest blockbuster(kids present)..Hmmm, PREVIEW people that's my advice.Time consuming..yes..worth it..no doubt, Been there and done that dance around WE assure you.

Manually editing movies,and having play back problems has all the hallmarks of errors creeping in and I wish I could help you further...but stay tuned for others to post their experiences.Help is on it's way.

To agree with that would be an understatement, "WOULDN'T IT BE LOVERLY" sez liza..What would be the cost of having a menu option added to DVD's AND tv, that circumvates these issues? Here's to living with kiddies...keep them smiles comin'

Cheers.

9. Peach1468

Peach1468 Member

AnyDVD or Alcohol 120% -- what would these be for? I've downloaded DVD Shrink & Menu Shrink. Already have a couple of burning programs . . . Can you tell me step-by-step what I need to do to compress my movie files on my HD (i.e., run the files through DVD Shrink then save them back to HD)?? Thanks!

10. onya

onya Guest

AnyDVD is a decryption program that runs in the background.I simply insert the dvd I wish to copy into the drive, at this point AnyDVD Automatically removes all copy protection.I open DVD Shrink, click on open disc, and you'll see that there is no encryption,so click Analysis, then click Back up and let shrink do it's thing.When all is completed(don't burn just yet) Open Menu shrink, do the drag and drop of the folder that the movie has been ripped to, follow the instructions given on it's home page..job done
    Alcohol 120% is NOT a de-crypter but a copying app. There are various different formats that you can use/copy. One format that I use 120 with, is to make backups of ps and ps2 games. It's not cheap, but it is worth it.

Shrink has already compressed the dvd files, to enable them to fit on a single layer dvd disc. To compress them further for storage on your HD, use an app like WinZIP or WinRAR(trial versions available)these are basically a drag and drop affair also.

As I posted before,if your going to store alot of movies, your going to need space.

Cheers.