1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrink vs Rebuilder

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by dmerrick, Apr 16, 2009.

1. dmerrick

dmerrick Regular member

I have used shrink for a long time. I heard great things about rebuilder and I downloaded rebuilder and set it up and did 3 or 4 moviesw with it.

Here is my issue, explain to me how rebuilder is better than shrink?

I use DVDFab or ANYDVD to decode and then shrink or rebuilder and copy to disc using Nero or ImagBurn.

I think that the quality is a little better with rebuilder but the time is much shorter with shrink. If I use shrink I can do a movie in an hour.

With rebulder, I would say it is more like 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

I am not being a wiseguy, I just need to hear the reasons rebuilder is better than shrink? You guys have the expertise and I am sure can tell me things I don't know or would never think of. Honestly, educate me so I can do this the right way

2. nu2ad

nu2ad Member

hey there ...
    i juvst dwnloaded it my self and have a few questions about it too.
    but i saw your post and just had to say that theres a huge difference between transcoding and encoding.
    shrink transcodes and rebuilder encodes. its like it actually rebuilds the movie to fit in dvd not juvst compress it to fit.
    sorry i couldnt give a great definition for transcode and encode but i think you kinda might be able to get the point.
    and from what ive read - even what you wrote above - the difference in the end product is clear.
    take care.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  3. dmerrick

dmerrick Regular member

Thanks. I am still not clear on the transcoding and encoding but the analogy of shrink squeezing the movie and reducing quality makes sense.

Some people have talked about how the quality of a movie done with shrink and rebuilder is significantly different on HD or larger screen tv's. Has anybody had that experience?

4. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

This has been discussed many times. Try it on a movie that needs a considerable amount of compression and compare.

5. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

This is a quote from jdobbs author of DVD Rebuilder.

6. dmerrick

dmerrick Regular member

Thanks for the advice. I think I will take one movie and run it through shrink and run the same movie through dvdrebuilder and take a look at the quality. Thanks again

7. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Try a movie that's around 2 1/2 hours long.

8. dmerrick

dmerrick Regular member

Will do

9. HappysDVD

HappysDVD Guest

Im lost here as well ... are you all just copying a movie? Or converting files to put on a dvd? If your just copying a movie why use all these programs? Im not trying to be a smart*** but i use only 1 program to copy movies i have.. DVDFab Plat... I dont care how big the movie, it will decode it, shrink it and slap it on a DVD5... I havent made a coaster yet.. And i am using Vista32? If u dont want to shrink it it will also put it on a dvd9... Im just wondering why you would go through all these steps...

10. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

picture quality,

dvdfab plat (whic I purchased) uses a transcoder, dvd rebuilder uses a encoder, a quantum jump in picture quality over transcoders, and that is what it is all about.

11. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

Amen.

12. dmerrick

dmerrick Regular member

I got - picture quality. Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate the time to help out a newbie

13. imhay

imhay Member

I'm signing on too. Gotta say "Shrink" has worked great IMO - I just watched two "shrunk" movies using Up Conversion player and HDMI link to our projector to screen image 120 inch diagonal - B. Willis in Whole Nine Yards and Shirley MacLaine in My Geisha - and they both look clear, very sharp - plenty of huge screen WOW.

If Rebuilder will give me significant image improvement that can be easily seen I'd love it!

Can I use Fab decrypter and then process the result with Rebuilder?

I've got a Fab decrypted dvd in a file ready to go - I've printed the instructions and am ready to install Rebuilder and associated utilities.

Looking forward to the result!

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

You need to run the movie files thru a free program called Vobblanker as DVDFab doesn't produce clean enough rips for Rebuilder. Rebuilder can take a long time, depending on what CPU you have, and if the files aren't clean enough Rebuilder could barf an hour or few into encoding. So it's advised to always run the files thru Vobblanker if you intend to then use DVD Rebuilder.

Vobblanker is a daunting looking program but for cleaning you just point it at the directory where DVDFab dumped it's files, select an output directory and hit Process. Let it complete then point Rebuilder at the newly cleaned files and let Rebuilder work it's magic.

15. imhay

imhay Member

Thanks - Great I just downloaded Vobblanker.

Now to be sure I understand for going forward which is the best decrypter to use with rebuilder and can you show a link?
    Thanks!!!

16. creaky

There's only really DVDFab and AnyDVD and i only uses DVDFab, never needed to use AnyDVD past it's 21day trial some years ago. What CPU do you have by the way ?

17. imhay

imhay Member

Okay
    If I understand correctly I process with Fab decrypt and then clean the files with vobblanker - yes?

The PC with XP Pro is an older one - chip is P4/3.6 - only 2/Gig of RAM - it's always been strong enough to render a TON of video editing but the video card helps with RAM onboard.

Should this be enough for Rebuilder if I'm not in a hurry?/
    Thanks

18. creaky

Yep, rip with DVDFab -> Vobblank -> DVD Rebuilder -> enjoy superior video quality :)

Ouch, a P4 will chug with Rebuilder, but the quality will be the same as anything faster, and the beauty of Rebuilder is the quality, which more than makes up for the time it takes.

I used to use an AMD Athlon 2800XP as my main pc a couple years ago, and that would take about 5 hours (!) for main movie mode in DVD Rebuilder; now i'm using a Quad Core and main movie mode is approx. 45 minutes and a full disc episodic is only an hour. I run Rebuilder a few times a week, i very rarely run DVD Shrink anymore as Rebuilder wipes the floor with it and everything else. But Shrink is still a great program, i only use it for movies that require less than 90% video compression and to be honest it's not worth it to me to even bother with Shrink for that as Rebuilder doesn't take too long

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  19. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Could not agree more. It's worth the extra time, every time.

20. imhay

imhay Member

Thanks Creaky for taking the time to explain the flow of the process.

I've thought about upgrading PC but so far no application has come along compelling enough for me to take the step. I've always built our desktops - takes a lot of time and trouble - I'm also amazed that I can buy an off-the-shelf PC with an AMD quad chip/10G-RAM/B.Ray Drive and T-byte HDD for under a grand - WOW how cheap processing power has become - so maybe for movie file fun I'll talk myself into spending the cash.

This is all really interesting and I'll do a couple of tests over the next few days and then side-by-side compare the original dvd with the Shrink copy with the Rebuilder copy using the projector and big screen for the comparison.

I don't doubt or deny the difference I'm reading about here - I just have been so pleasantly surprised and content with the visual result of "shrunk" files via Up Conversion player on a very large screen it's hard to imagine being able to achieve that much of a significant and visible enhancement.

I'll post back if you guys don't mind.
    Thank You again