1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shrinking a large file to an 80 min cd-r

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Dr.Who, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

This question has probably been asked before, but I got sick of searchin, as I didnt find exactly for I was looking for, so here go's...........

I have mixes that are like 2-5 hours long. Tiesto, Oakenfold, etc DJ mixes and what I want to do is shrink their live sets (one track mix) down to one cd-r (80 min 700 mb) disc.....

....without loosing the quality of the sound.

Most of you probably will say "This isnt possible", however a lot of people I spoke to said there is a way to do this, BUT thats where things stopped. No one has been able to tell me HOW to do it (go figure)

Is there a way? If not, then is there an audio shrink program that I can use and maybe play around with modifying programs to get the quality some what better?

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

if you mean you want to put a 5 hour set onto an 80 minute AUDIO cd, and be able to play it in general audio players, than no, its not possible. They do make 90 and 99 min cdrs though. if you want to burn your compressed file onto a 700mb data cd, than thats possible, but you will lose quality, no matter what format you use. Don't use mp3. Try a losseless format like OGG or FLAC. so you want to burn all your sets to one CD, or you have a single 5 hour mix thats more that 700mb? more details would help...

3. wonder05

wonder05 Member

you just counterdicted yourself.

A)You CAN compress audio without loosing quality. Lossless formats like FLAC (as djscoop mentioned) and SHN. You won't be able to play them in a normal CD player though.

B) OGG is NOT a lossless format. Its better than MP3, yes, but data is still lost. You will never fit much more than 80 min of CD audio on an 80 min CD.

C) lossy formats, such as MP3 and OGG, do not decrease the quality as much as you may think. MP3, when compressed using LAME @ VBR 192 or higher, is all but indistinguishable from the actual CD to most people.

4. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Errr..ummm.......*scratches head*

Ok, sooooo if you CAN burn a long mix track down to a 800mb cd-r, then how do you do it?? Even if it reduces quality, who cares.

So what programs are recommmended and how do you do it??

Thanks

5. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah yeah, I know I contradicted myself. My point was to use a compression format other than mp3.

so you want to burn your compressed file to a data-cd? and that one file is OVER 800 megs?? I have many full length DJ sets, and they are usually between 100 and 150 MB. But if you just want to burn them to a data disc, just use a burning app like nero. if you are using mp3, you can use dBPowerAMP to convert them to a lower bitrate.

6. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Ok, here what I want to do....

I have mp3's and Wav files that are 230 mins to 400 mins long (2-3 hour live DJ sets give or take) that I want to SHRINK down to a 700mb CD-R.

Quality of the sound Im not TOTALLY concerned about, as long as there isnt MUCH hazzyness involved or fizzin.

I know you can take long mixes or tracks and put them on CD-R's if you burn them as DATA files, but you wont be able to play the cd in most platers such as your car cd player, so naturally I will want to burn it on a cd that will allow me to play the long mix in most cd players.

THATS what Im seeking answers for. lol

7. djscoop

djscoop Active member

okay, so you DO want to burn audio cds to be played on regular audio cd players. in that case, you cannot burn 5 hours sets on an 80 min cdr. in some cases, you can do an overburn, which may give you 5 more minutes. but there is no way you will ever get 2 to 5 hours out of a standard 80 min cdr. they do make 90 and 99 min cdrs, which are compatible with most players and burners.

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I no this is late but, just to clarify, Ogg Vorbis is not a Lossless codec. Also, alot of CD playes, especially DVD players, play Mp3 and Wma files now. There are plenty of car audio players that will play Mp3 and WMA files.

You cant put more than 90 min on a disk. For what your talking about you have to use some type of compression scheme. If you can I would try to use a VBR scheme. If your file is still to large then re-encode with CBR. With CBR you can estimate the total amount of MB the file will be.

You can't controll time, only the bits. CDs use uncompressed PCM schemes to store data. Its almost analog still.

Diabolos's Fun-Sized-Info Link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2005
  9. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Where do they sell these 90 and 99 min cd-r's??

Ive been everywhere today looking for them, and either people around here tell me "Sorry, never heard of such a media", "They dont exist, its a lie" or "You have to order them online only"

Ive been to Best Buy, Office Depot, Office Max, Fry's Electronics, Microcenter and NO ONE carries anything but just the 80m 700mb CD-R's.

10. djscoop

djscoop Active member

www.allmediaoutlet.com

11. Dr.Who

Dr.Who Regular member

Sweet. This helps a little. Least Ill get almost 20 more mins to listen to. lol

I also found this site www.yesbuy.net if anyone else is looking over this thread.