1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shuttle or AMS e-cube?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Oner, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

I am looking to purchase a SFF barebone system in the next few days and I need some suggestions etc. on the hardware stated. I already have lying around...

1. P4 2.4 or 2.66 (Non HT's 533 FSB's which I would upgrade in the future)
    2. 512 meg PC2700 Ram (2 x 256 which I would also upgrade later)
    3. WD SE Caviar 80 gig 8 meg cache 7200 rpm HD (keep)
    4. ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (keep)

Now I do like the AMS (EG65) because it has the handle like the FragBox from Falcon NW and has clear windows already so it makes it easier to mod! BUT, the Shuttle is more widely known and trusted (although I am quite sure the AMS is a shuttle I just don't know if the internals are the same). I have done some research but nothing has made one stand out from the other.

Now I have also read that there might be some compatibility issues with Prescott and Celeron chips for the AMS although this doesn't affect me currently nor would in the future as I would get/prefer a Northwood core when I upgrade. I really just need some more clarification/comparisons on the MB's in each and their +/- or good/bad etc. Thanx for any info and your time.

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

I like the Shuttle models.
    I have had good luck with them (and the little padded carrying bag they sell with them is so kewl).
    They are a quality product, and the heatpipes are great.
    Placement is important (nice, cool ambient airflow) or they can become hot and noisy...
    Small ('shoebox') PCs are great -
    Hey Oner, check this out:
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=802949
    Now there's a nice SFF rig (Shuttle) for ya...
    L8R :)