1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sick Of The Standard DVD-ROM Drives Please Help

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by vvcdoctor, May 20, 2007.

1. vvcdoctor

vvcdoctor Member

Okies ive got the Phillips drive in at the mo which has a model number of VAD6035/21 which i have been told is the best drive to use it does work better than the other drives i have used but still when copying over certain games or what not I get an error message saying cannot read file and certain game disks it wont even read at all (By the way all my media is fantastic condition I look after my stuff) so can anyone tell me if I could possibly use a much newer drive I tried moddin the power then using a standard DVD-rom drive just so i could copy over some more games but that does not read anything please could someone shed a bit more light on this for me as its a reall drag. :(

2. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

It seems your dvd drive is about done. You'll need to do some POT laser tweaking. The laser doesnt shine as bright as it used to thats why some discs cannot be read correctly. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/409908

The stock dvd drive found in xbox is the only one that can read xbox games. The file format that it uses differs from a standard dvd rom drive. The Xbox uses a file system called XDFS. Thats why when you put a game in pc a xbox clip plays as if it was playing a dvd movie but without a menu. If it wasnt done this way, xbox would of been a dead system just like it happened to dreamcast.

3. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  4. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Maybe you can play your backup games with a standard dvd rom drive by just burning the disc as a regular data iso without using the XDFS file format. I havent done it and never will because it just defeats the purpose of having it, I dont even know if its possible, If your xbox does detect the drive it may be possilble to play but it wont be able to read any original games or XDFS formatted isos. You'll need the stock ms drive if you have softmodded or encountered dash problems so that you can reinstall the exploit so a standard drive should stay in a pc.

5. vvcdoctor

vvcdoctor Member

Thanks for your help people i just done the pot tweak and it works great which has worked very well.