1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Side bar

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by donewell, Apr 11, 2008.

1. donewell

donewell Regular member

I know the people in charge don't like to hear that this is a pain in the a$$ , and will close this thread like they did the last one because they don't like to hear the truth. They said that they changed it so if you shut it off it wouldn't come back till you cleaned your cookies. will its back everytime i look at an artical and click on back, and no cookie cleaning in days. S o please everyone don't just sit there and be mad about this , speak up. lets get rid of this pain in the side (bar).

2. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

it works clicking it off for me

I/others have real things that are are important to worry about than a sidebar at a tech site lol

3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

If you allow the site to set cookies, as you obviously do because you manage to post to our site, the sidebar stays closed when you click it to be closed. What browser are you using? Can you look at the cookies stored to your browser after clicking the sidebar off -- and if so, check if you have a cookie set by afterdawn.com named as left_narrow_display that contains text "hide_topics" inside it?

4. JVC

JVC Active member

I click it off, and it stays off...........for 2 days. Then it's back, and I have to click it off again. After two more days, again....
    I use the latest version of Firefox.

5. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Exactly, some people just love to complain though. Donewell, I myself found it annoying, but I don't seem to have that problem. Is it really that big of a deal??

6. donewell

donewell Regular member

Hi Goodswipe I don't mind having to turn it off when i come to the site, but the problem i have that some days everytime i go the read a thread or an artical and then click back i have to shut it off every time. and when the shut off button is at the top and i am down a ways , to shut the darn thing off again i have to scroll back to the top. And i find that a pain. Guess i just have to live with it till 2010 when they update the site LOL.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

donewell, that happens to me too.

8. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

its probaly your AV program causing the problem

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what, avg?

10. varnull

varnull Guest

Mine has stayed away since taking the steps I outlined in the other thread.

I unblocked the java frame after the report of the cookie being changed, and with the block on the minimized tab still being in place I have forgotten it even existed.

I have also found a way to make it a persistent floating frame (it's java after all) so if it comes back it will always stay within the confines of the screen.. Not saying any more.. I'm pretty sure the doc wouldn't like me telling how to vandalize the nice layout by using the way a browser handles frames. Suffice to say.. you can make a java frame float on screen all the time by fixing it's position relative to your borders rather then the site defined position.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2008
  11. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

for all the talk about this side bar and how to turn it off and keep it off and finding yourself in the bottom of the thread and have to scroll back to the top of the thread to turn it off and such....... seems to me that with all this going on to turn the darn thing OFF why does it have to be there in the first place????? you can have the side bar on the top like a toolbar instead and avoid all this! that's all I'm saying... my opinion. there I vented enough since you closed out the other thread about it.

12. varnull

varnull Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2008
  13. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

glad someone has a solution!

14. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Seriously, is it that big of a deal? Why are you clearing your cookies anyways? There's no real reason to do that unless you are trying to hide websites that you have visited.

15. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I don't leave footprints anywhere! and my machines are clean and mean!

16. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

LOL - right on man! So every time you come to aD, do you also get mad at the fact that you have to log into the system?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2008
  17. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

you don't have to log in unless you post

18. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

I wonder how many people log in, but don't post? I don't see why anyone would come here to get their fix, but not log in. I know I sure as hell couldn't do it.

19. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

there are plenty of people that come here for the simple reason to find answers! Before I joined Afterdawn I was a guest just searching for answers........ after I found out a thing or two I joined, and it was weeks after using Afterdawn before I registered. I'm sure there are plenty of people right now reading "how tos" and are not registered at all. but I do sign in only if I have something to say. and it's not an inconvenience as that side bar is!

20. donewell

donewell Regular member

Could not have said it better myself.! I also keep my computer clean and only sign in if i want to ask a question or try to answer one.
    It's Time the people who make this site admit they made a mistake. they tried to do good but failed with the side bar. Just move it to the top and leave it there, so it can be used if needed.
    And just when is this cookie that keeps it off get put in????? when i come here i click it off , but when i read an article and go back it's back. and i sure don't clean cookies while I'm on the site!!