1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silent Hill 3 GeForce Problem solved

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by MaxPowerz, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Flusher I think this may help ya: WindowsXP is a quirky OS when it comes to built-in burning capability. Many people claim to be able to burn fine. Many others have problems. Microsoft released an update to the IMAPI (which, FYI stands for Image Mastering Applications Programming Interface); that update can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320174. Furthermore, Microsoft has adressed other burning issues with WindowsXP, see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129

2. Flusher

Flusher Member

Thanx for your help praetor, but that didn't help, actually I wasn't even able to install that thing because it said I already have sp1 installed. Anyway found another silent hill 3 thread as well from this same forum where many people are having exactly the same problem..one said his problem got fixed when he re-installed windows but Im not going to do this since im not 100% sure if it even helps ;P

Grr this is very frustratin trying to get this problem solved..been trying to fix it for hours and HOURS! :| Got this game around month ago but still doesnt work :(

3. Flusher

Flusher Member

Ohh this is just great! Finally I managed to fix it :)

Had to remove all my MPEG video codecs, special thanks to Susurs, this was his tip :)

4. cmoya

cmoya Member

OK, so how do you do that? (remove the mpeg codecs). Does this include DivX codecs?
    I'm assuming I have to uninstall WinDVD and Divx... is that correct?... can I just remove the DLL's (as a temporary measure?).

P.S. Thanks for all the great suggestions in this forum. You guys rock.

5. Praetor

As for MPEG codecs, uninstall your DVD players and that should do it.... of course if you have enabled the MPEG/DVD capability with WMP then you may not be able to fully get rid of it.

6. cmoya

cmoya Member

I uninstalled WinDVD, still have a crash in nv_disp as soon as I start a New Game. Using Detonator 52.16. The game starts, I see the movie before the Menu screen. But once I start a new game it crashes.

7. Praetor

Try the Detonator 44.03 drivers -- and dont forget there are three types of GeForce4MX cards -- the work around may work for one and not another

8. cmoya

cmoya Member

Well, actually I'm trying to run it on a Gf2. ;-)

The 44.03 tip was good. The game no longer crashes when it starts, but you can't see anything either. I can hear the sounds and some foggy light effects but nothing is really discernable. The intro movie and the menu all seem to work as well as the sound.

I've tried several 3danalyze settings with no luck. I'm tempted in buying a new PC just to run this one game (!!!)... but I might just give up on it out of spite! I don't want to support Konami's practices (and lazy programming). Add to it the fact that no XBOX version is in sight and you get a company that I'd rather ignore (no matter how good Silent Hill 3 is!).

9. Praetor

A GF2 is far too weak to be able to simulate pixel and vertex shaders as well as perform the video functionality so I am quite surprised you got that far.

10. cmoya

cmoya Member

Hmmm, perhaps you're right. But, it (Gf2) can play every other recent game on the market I've seen... and play them quite well especially since I play on a 42inch Plasma TV- meaning 800x600- thus no need for higher power 1024+ resolutions.

Are Silent Hill 3's graphics that much better than Max Payne 2 or any other game on the market? From what I hear it's not even much of a step above Silent Hill 2 (on the PC).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2003
  11. cmoya

cmoya Member

BTW, 800x600 on a Plasma looks awesome.

12. Praetor

1. Try UT2K3, 15 bots, Tokara forest, detail to max, 800x600 -- it will choke :p
    2. MaxPayne2 graphics are nothing to compare by.

I'd rather have my 1280x1024 CRT or projector :p but thats just a matter of personal pref i guess :p

13. cmoya

cmoya Member

Well, at least I would be able to coax UT into working. Furthermore, considering UT is a fairly action-packed game I can understand, appreciate, and forgive performance problems with lesser systems. Anyway, I'm not into UT or FPS's in general (I think they're dumb... at least for my tastes).

I still contend that given the rather slow, atmospheric, ambiant pace in Silent Hill 3, its inability to play on certain systems is incomprehensible... especially considering that the Gf2 (and G4 MX's especially) are far more capable than a PS2 console... and Silent Hill 3 came out first for that!).

14. Readdabox

Readdabox Member

SH3 box says:

Note: GeForce4MX is not supported.

;)

15. Praetor

Always helps to read the box.... but of course when you download somethign.... you can't quite read a box can you? :)

16. cmoya

cmoya Member

Quite right. I didn't read the box :-(
    I just bought it at the store on an impulse (I was excited).
    I also didn't know that there was also a DVD version as I saw someone mention in another forum. That's pretty cool.

I'm not sure if you can return opened games to GameStop. I doubt it.

P.S. On a related note. I went back and played the Born on a Wish sub-scenerio on SH2 (I never bothered after I beat SH2 for some reason). It makes me want to play SH3 soooo much.

17. Readdabox

Readdabox Member

Worth a try though? If they won't refund full then ask if they can replace the game with another same price game as the text is so small it's hard to notice.

18. envious

envious Member

Thanks, i have launched the game... but when i start new game my PC just restarts.. and everytime when i try to start new game :( what should i do ?

19. envious

envious Member

Thanks, i have launched the game... but when i start new game my PC just restarts.. and everytime when i try to start new game :( what should i do ?

20. cmoya

cmoya Member

I don't think there's any hope for us Envious. Either upgrade your card to the few supported cards or for laptop owners (like me) buy a new uber-expensive gaming laptop (I paid $3500 for mine just 2 years ago). As a casual gamer, I'm not about to do that for one game right now. So Silent Hill 3 will remain unplayed, returned to the store, put on craigslist, or given as a gift. Too bad too, it looked pretty good.