1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple GK Resolution Question

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Adavis, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Adavis

Adavis Member

Can't seem to find an explanation for this in the guides.

Under "input resolution" you have options for the following:

PAL
    NTSC
    720x576

My question is, If PAL is already 720x576 then why the extra option for this resolution?....what's the difference?

Thnx in advance.

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Under 'Input Resolution' there are 3 options:

PAL
    NTSC
    Other

The 'Other' is very rarely (if ever) used, but could be useful for example if you were opening up an AVI as your source.
    Typically, you would go through GKnot and set things up just generally - your part of the world, your codec (DivX or Xvid or ?), your extra files added to be deducted from the 700MB burn size limit, etc.
    Then save this framework as your 'default' setting.
    Then, when you open GKnot it will show PAL default, with that rez showing as default under 'other'.
    Mine shows NTSC, with 720x480 filled in under 'other'.
    When you run DGIndex on the VOBs to create a project file (D2V) and then open that project file in GKnot, either PAL or NTSC will I believe be selected automatically, and you don't need to care what is listed under 'other', anyway :^)
    What do you use, XviD or DivX?
    I used DivX for many years but have recently switched to XviD.
    I am getting really very good results...
    Regards

3. Adavis

Adavis Member

Thanks for answering, lame question i know but I like to make my encodes as perfect as I can. I've been using Xvid latley myself, since the released the 1.03 codec. Previously I found Divx colour more appealing but that's been addressed in xvid and as I like to remain consistent for my encodes - due to future standalone use I'll stick with it.