1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sin city

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by hursty, Apr 10, 2005.

1. hursty

hursty Active member

is this film in black and white??
    with the odd screen of colour

2. SovMish

SovMish Guest

Didn't see the movie yet, but I heard that a small PART of it was in black/white.

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401792/

reviewed...

I just came back from an advance screening of Sin City, and I can tell you this is one salient reel of pitch of a film. Think of it as film noir amped up for a post modern century. It comes across like most of Frank Miller's writing, modestly fantastic for the comic environment, but steeped long and hard in the tradition of the underground crime writers of the '40's. Visually, the juxtaposition of the rich B&W with digitally-hued Technicolor makes it hard to take your eyes off the screen. This film was tailor made for most of the people who have been following Miller's writing for the past twenty odd years, brimming with many of his trademark elements and visual style that he, along with Messrs. Rodriguez and Tarantino, capture brilliantly. Not for more sensitive or under aged souls, Sin City will burn like a fire that you have to watch for everyone else.

4. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Saw it when it opened here last week. Wild movie. As Rotary said not for the under age ones or sensitive. The guy sitting behind me had 2 younger kids with him - I'm sure they had nightmares after watching this film. Would highly recommend for those of age.

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

As a fan who bought the comics years ago when they were first printed I've seen it twice already and it holds truer to the originals that any other comic based movie - by far. They used the actual comics as the storyboards so it's no wonder. When you have the author and a phenomenal director who is a comic fan himself you have a recipe for one of the greatest films I've ever seen.

The comics were drawn in black and white with each series having a theme color that was used in key parts. "A Dame To Kill For" which involved Marv used red, "That Yellow Bastard" with Hartigan used yellow and "The Big Fat Kill" with Dwight used blue.

If you liked the movie you owe it to yourself to check out the comics because they're some of the best, most stylistic ever done. There's a trade paperback that collects all three in one edition which is less work and money than trying to track down all the originals :)

6. hursty

hursty Active member

just checked it out,
    the film looks spot on
    it is in black and white

7. sneek

sneek Member

its not really black in white well.. i cant says its colour eather things like cars ppls lips etc - special things r colours :p