1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

size of file to burn to dvd to play in dvd player

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by softcream, May 4, 2012.

1. softcream

softcream Member

i want to burn some videos to dvd to play on a dvd player. alot of dvd-r's later i found out that the vids cant be 4.7gb (or alot under the ones i wanted was about 200mb) and play on a dvd player it has lots of suff to make it play. i was wondering if there was a way to find out how much stuff i can fit on to a dvd-r with out just trial and error and alot of £ later. the vids are .wmv do other formats fit better? or other burners fit more on?

2. cw9000

cw9000 Member

It sounds like you are wondering how to put more than 4.7GB on a dvd. You can put more on a dual layer dvd. 8.5 GB. But you must buy a burner that supports dual layer. When you buy your burner make sure it says it supports DVD+/-R DL or DVD+/-RW DL. This stands for the DVD+ standard or the DVD- standard as well as ReWrite as well as Dual Layer.
    Then you have to make sure you buy dual layer disks. It will either say "dual layer" or "DL".

A 4.7GB disk is also called DVD-5 and a 8.5GB is also called DVD-9.

I am having a hard time, myself, making avi conversion to .Vob files that will play on a dvd player. AFAIK, wmv doesnt play on dvd players, maybe special ones, but it certainly isnt a standard for DVD players.

Your burning software should tell you how much youve put into the queue to be written. Most software has a bar at the bottom that shows you how much more you can put on the disk.

Also, a 4.7GB disk is 4.4GiB.
    A DVD is 4,700,000,000 bytes

= 4589843.75 KiB
    = 4482.etc MiB
    = 4.377 GiB

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  3. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

might be able to run a simulation burn before burning the files to disc depending on what software your using.