1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

size of formats

Discussion in 'Audio' started by soc3558, Oct 7, 2005.

1. soc3558

soc3558 Member

which is smaller, mp3, wma, wav...?

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

it depends of the compression ratio. wav files are uncompressed, they are the largest. mp3 and wma are around the same size if using the same bitrate. stick with mp3 VBR 256kbps for compressed files

3. soc3558

soc3558 Member

Does changing the format of an audio file over and over sacrifice quality?

4. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Yes it does. You shouldn't convert a compressed format e.g. MP3 into another compressed format e.g. WMA. But you can convert WAV files into a compressed format. All the albums I convert into MP3 or another compressed format I make sure I have the original on disc (either bought or copied albums).

5. soc3558

soc3558 Member

weazel, are you from south florida?

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I'm pretty sure weaz is from the UK

7. soc3558

soc3558 Member

ahh just wondering. i know a dj weaz.

8. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

LOL. I wish I was from Florida. djscoop is right i'm from the UK. Weather is getting colder and colder. Sucks.

9. shiroh

shiroh Guest

10. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah weaz but Florida also sucks because it is SUPER humid there. If its 80 degrees it feel like 110. You walk around with your shirt stuck to your back from sweat all day. Its all about the west coast...my parents moved from Florida to So. California after high school, and I thank them everyday for it. Not to mention it also rains like three times a day there (no offense to anyone who lives in Florida, its just not for me...)

thanks for the info Shiroh I'll update my LAME and see how it works...

edit typo

Last edited: Oct 8, 2005
  11. soc3558

soc3558 Member

yeah thanks for the lame tip. I totally agree with your opinion on florida.

12. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

OFF TOPIC
    I would swop the UK for Florida any day even if it is humid. The only thing I would be weary of is the amount of hurricanes and tornadoes.

You live in LA scoop, what's it like. Must be the high life. Nice weather, sea, lots of hunnies. What part of LA you from? I would love to visit California one day.

BACK TO TOPIC
    I just encoded a whole load of albums using EAC with Lame 3.90.3, should I bother to re-encode or is there not much difference between the quality.

13. djscoop

djscoop Active member

naw 3.90 is good and solid, I used it for a while. As long as you did the usual VBR settings and all that jazz it should be fine.

Yeah like I said my parents moved here after they graduated HS back in the 70s, and I love so cal. I live in the San Fernando Valley (aka "the valley") which is about 20 mins north/northwest of downtown LA. I just like LA cause I think its got the best of most environments. It doesn't usually get below 60 during the winter, and summer is usually low 90s. Almost always blue skies, and a nice breeze from the Pacific (about 30 mins west to Malibu/Santa Monica). And most definately there are tons of hot chicks here. I like to call LA the land of fake titties, lol. If I were to live somewhere else I'd probably pick somewhere tropical like Fiji or some mellow place like that, but as far as the US I like Cali.

My friend went to London last year and had a blast, I'm hopefully planning on going next summer. Where in the UK are you from?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  14. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

So what exactly are the differences between all the different versions of LAME. And is it worth downloading version 3.97. My additional command line settings are set to alt preset extreme.

I live in a small town about an hours train journey from London. London really is the only place worth visiting in England. Where I live it's freezing from November to late February. And in Summer it's quite humid as there is no beach nearby so I make the most of the holidays by going to my gran who lives in Spain. Spring is the best time. Just the right temperature.

15. djscoop

djscoop Active member

honestly not sure, I haven't checked out or done research on the new one yet, hopefully shiroh can shed some light on the subject...

16. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Normally the LAME community incorrporates a slew of code level tweaks for the alt-presets and improves the precieved sound quality a bit with each iteration.

Sign me up!
    Ced

17. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

lol i hate f**king England. america is all over our telly and it looks so much better. i might have to move out there! anyway

i remember years back when i used to encode all my music on 128kbps .wma! how things have changed. the sound quality is awful. heads up to weaz 4 introducing me to EAC & LAME ;)

by the way scoop how do you make your own .gif? i'd be interested to know as id like to make one :)

Lethal

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  18. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah EAC and LAME are definately the way to go, as far as mp3s at least.

I actually didn't create this gif, I found it on an anti-mac website and the webmaster said I could use it. But I think (not sure) you can create them in photoshop. If you ever want to come visit sunny so cal hit me up, I'll show ya around

19. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

I 2nd that Lethal. America looks 100 x's better than England does. Unless your from a poorer country or an older citizen than how could you find England better than America. I would swop America for England any day without a seconds thought. Only place worth visiting in England if your from abroad is London.

20. gallagher

gallagher Regular member

Yeah, my mother is from england and my father is from the United States; luckily I ended up in the US. I would like to visit the UK but not live there.

As for formats, I always save my as wma, but make sure that it is a low bitrate like the variable, not the lossless. When I first started saving my CD's to my harddrive a few years ago, I saved them all lossless; ended up with single songs around 30 MB's each! That sucks because I still have not converted them all to lower files.