1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

size of resulting file when converting avi or mpeg to dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by keisukey, Nov 24, 2004.

1. keisukey

keisukey Member

if i convert a avi or mpeg to dvd format, would the output file be larger or smaller or same compared to the input file? for example, if i have a 1 gig avi file, and convert it to dvd format, would i end up with a 2 gig file or what? and since this is related to this subjet, what would the size of the output file be if i converted it to vcd format?? thanks, hope it isn't complicated

2. nist

nist Member

The output file size is dependent on the bitrate used for the video and what kind of audio (MP2 or LPCM)(and bitrate) you use. In general the mpeg-2 (DVD) is much larger then the AVI file. Usually you convert the AVI file to fit one DVD (4,3Gb) to get as good quality as possible.
    The VCD use a constant bitrate of 1150kbs and usually at takes around 600mb for 60min of movie (i.e. 10MB/Min).

3. BazNZ

BazNZ Member

Is there a free AVI/MPEG to DVD coverter available anywhere on the net? If not what is the most commercial versatile and fastest coverter currently available?

4. nist

nist Member

There is one free avi to dvd converter. VSO software has one called DivxtoDVD.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/5743.cfm

You could also use Tmpenc Xpress or Tmpgenc 2.51, they are both very commonly used. Other than that are there a lot of different ones, such as DVD Santa, Cucusoft AVItoDVD and WinAVI etc.
    WinAVI is very fast, but TMPEnc gives much better quality (Much longer encoding time though!)
    WinAVI works pretty well and is rather fast. It is also a one click solution!

5. keisukey

keisukey Member

well, regarding your comment
    "Usually you convert the AVI file to fit one DVD (4,3Gb) to get as good quality as possible"
    i heard that it will actually lose some quality, since it's impossible to make up lost data. it's just that people do it to make it playable on dvd players.... or am i wrong?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  6. nist

nist Member

Yes, that is correct. When converting you always lose quality. You can never get the converted file to have better quality. But using as high bitrate as possible in the conversion process gets the converted file to be closer to the orignal. You could convert a AVI to DVD to only take up 2GB if you want to. But if don't want to have several movies on one DVD, why not use the full 4.3GB and get as good quality as possible considering the 4.3GB limitatation?
    I usually puts 2 AVI on one DVD, i.e. I convert the AVI to be a 2.1 GB big file. The quality is then ok and not very different than the AVI.

7. keisukey

keisukey Member

i guess ur rite thanks!