1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

size of vids you can burn on a dvd

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by softcream, May 1, 2012.

1. softcream

softcream Member

i was using dvdflick to burn some videos .wmv they came to less than 100mb (the dvd takes 4.7gb so thought this would be ok). it did all the stuff it does when u say create dvd but stoped and said i ran out of room in my hard drive it was like 8gb big or somting? (dont know if that is all stuff to make it play on dvd player) hypothetically if i did have room on my hard drive would it all fit to a dvd or is that to much video to work with. i did it again with just 1 vid but some eror mesage came up?
    plz help thanks

2. attar

attar Senior member

Do you have space on your hard drive for the output files?

One factor governing the size of the output file is the running time of the video.
    A two hour running time would use the 4GB of the blank disk.

If it says you need 8GB, it sounds like you have opted to create an ISO image file in addition to the file folder that it outputs by default.

If it was simply a case of the running time being too large for the blank disk, the pop-up message would refer to that - not to space on the HDD.

3. softcream

softcream Member

running time was well under 2h i dont think i ticked the iso box
    if i made a dvd from 100mb would the dvd have used 100mb of space of does it make more stuff? ie i tried to burn vids that made up to 100mb and under 2h in to 8gb

4. attar

attar Senior member

The size of DVD video files are = running time x the bitrate.
    DVD video requires a large bitrate and will typically take up more space per running time than the source file.
    An example may be a typical AVI file that uses a bitrate of 1200kb/s, whereas DVD video may be 6000kb/s.

5. softcream

softcream Member

sorry i dont know what that means?
    thanks anyway
    basilcly i cant fit my 100mb/1h30m vids on to a 4.7gb/2h dvd?
    i give up