1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skips more and more with every playback...

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by gonecrazy, Jan 1, 2005.

1. gonecrazy

gonecrazy Member

We have a pioneer dvr-ao8xla and i am using prodisc dvd-r's. The first time I play the movie it plays almost perfect until the last 10-15 mins where it will skip a few times. Each play after that it starts to skip sooner. The more times you play it the sooner it starts to skip until it eventually freezes or won't let you play the disc at all.

I've tried it in 3 different dvd players and each result is the same.

I've tried burning at 1x but that doesn't seem to solve the problem.

They play perfectly fine in my computer no matter how many times you play them.

What is going on?

2. gonecrazy

gonecrazy Member

Forgot to mention that i use dvd decrypter, dvd shrink and burn with Nero 6.

3. jcee2k4

jcee2k4 Member

I'm using ProDisc Printable's dvd-r also & am getting the same result. Out of 50 discs i must of had 9 quality burns & 20 coasters so far. Sometimes i get "Unable to write, bad media, etc..." and sometimes is succesfully writes, but when i play it on my dvd player - it skips, freezes, etc. Need to know why this is happening..Is it the media. I also burn with Sony dvd+r non printable & not 1 coaster yet. I need a good printable dvd+-r disc. I currently have a sony dru-710a & use clone dvd / any dvd. Both using the latest versions.

Thanks

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Sure sounds like a media related problem. Prodisc media is usually fairly descent budget media, could be a bad batch or could be they disagree with your particular burner. In order to try to rectify the problem I would try some different media eg: Taiyo Yuden (first choice), maxell, or verbatum datalife plus. I like ricohjpn r01 but I booktype them dvd-rom making them as compatable as dvd-r (if not more compatable). This won't work with the pioneer since it does not incorperate the ability to bitset dvd+r media.

If you were only haveing freezing problems at the end of the movie I'd say to set the target size in shrink to 4300 mb so you don't burn clear to the far outer edge of the disc. Thats what I have mine set at and no longer have any problems.

jcee2k4,

Sounds like your problem [bold]is[/bold] media since the sony's work fine. I recommend trying some Taiyo Yuden inkjet printables. Some places to shop would be rima.com, meritline, newegg, and supermediastore.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  5. gonecrazy

gonecrazy Member

Is there a way to find out what media is compatible with my burner? or is my only choice to try several until I find one that works? Also when I find one that is compatible with my burner, will it also be compatible with my standalone dvd player?

Thanks for your help!

6. jcee2k4

jcee2k4 Member

Thanks Mort81. I was going to order Ritek Ridata 4X white inkjet printable from supermedia.com. They have them for $31 with free shipping. If i order those and they give me bad results, then i will try taiyo yudens. The Sony i have is dvd+r and the prodiscs are dvd-r. I will order +r from now on.

Thanks again.

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

gonecrazy,

You can look on the web page for pioneer dvdrw's and see if they show any recommendations or email them and ask. You might also try posting a thread titled something like "good media for pioneer dvdrw" in the media forum.

That's a loaded question. There is no guarantee. As a rule of thumb, normally the better quality media that is used will give you a better chance that it will perform well with both. Here is a free proggy that will tell you who actually made your media. http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/ Then use this guide to see where it ranks in quality. http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Glad I could share some light on the subject and good luck.