1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skybox F3/4/5 vs Ariva 150

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by suirthing, Oct 10, 2013.

1. suirthing

suirthing Member

Hi, first post for ages!

I have 2 x Ariva 150 boxes, n-line etc all set up ok. Only problem is the box will freeze/scramble if i have been watching a fta channel for more than a couple of minutes, i believe this is a common problem with the ariva boxes - have to constantly reboot box and sometimes even router to fix this.

So my question is - does the Skybox have this problem too? I am not talking about random freezing, this ALWAYS happens when changing from a free to a subscription channel.

Cheers

dk

2. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Not sure what firmware your using on the Ariva 150, I have loaded the Ariva 250 with the latest patched firmware and this fix's this, well on that box for me anyways, this was an issue on this box, I am running my box on wireless on the latest firmware and its working fine now, where before I had to go to network settings, turn DHCP off and on and this seemed to kick the box, its like it went into sleep mode or something after 5 mins of being on a FTA chan, some people said theirs was like this, some said no issues, was ita bad batch of boxs with dodgy roms or chip etc, not sure,

3. suirthing

suirthing Member

Thanks Mickah, i'm using V1.18v6 firmware on the 150, i will do a search on the net to see if a newer patched version exists...

4. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

A150Combo_20130926_1.24B8_patch.rar is the latest try Sat universe, I have the 250 version running on mine and its fine, using a nline works, the fixed something back in version1.22 i think got to do with newcamd and this seemed to fix the issue some of the boxs were having, i even had a cline running on one and it is fine,

5. suirthing

suirthing Member

Tried 1.23B2 and the 1.24B8 you mentioned, both still have the same problem. Do you know if the Skyboxes - F3, F4, F5 - suffer from this problem?? cheers for the help, d.

6. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Nope they work fine, have a few family with them, but are just a sat box, not DTT bear that in mind, keep your ariva as you may well need it in the future, for all your terrestrial and Sat chans,

strange that your problem isnt fixed with the firmware, as a matter of interest, did you try another line in the box, a test line to check? try a cline and nline now and see if that works,

7. suirthing

suirthing Member

I have had the same n-line with the same provider for nearly 12 months now, never thought about changing, i will try a test line from another provider tonite

Even if i do get a Skybox, i will def keep the ariva's for fta stuff,

thanks for your time,

d

8. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Let me know how ya get on with a test line, be interesting to see if it makes any difference!

9. madmark1

madmark1 Newbie

looking for channel up date for skybox f3 new to this missing sum channel can some one help please

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  10. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

look at the skybox F3 thread for that, links to a page which has it

11. suirthing

suirthing Member

Mickah

no joy with the test line, from reading other posts/forums it seems my problem may be related to the UPC router i have, a Technicolor TC7200. Many people complaining about this router. I think i will chance a Skybox, for €65 it is worth a shot!

12. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

The one I have, have found if the box glitchs, it wont connect again via ethernet using the latest firmware in UPC, so i tried wireless and works fine, not sure if its an issue with the ethernet port on some of these, UPC etc, but its intermittent what ever it is

13. bee9791

bee9791 Member

Mickah, would u happen to have a latest bouquets for ariva 250?

14. bee9791

bee9791 Member

I've heard through the grapevine that A250Combo_20130926_1.24B8_patch.rar - the september release has a bug and one would be better off using the July release. Just be Aware of this...

15. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

I didnt bother doing a chan file Bee, just moved a few about cause the fecking things are moving around that much, I am using that new file and the box is working fine, no issues with it, clearing chans etc.

I have seemed to got a handle on what was happening with the box, it seems, I could be wrong, that the ethernet port is faulty on some of these boxs, its like they "sleep" and when you go to a encrypted chan after being on a FTA chan, the box dont respond, until you either go to Network setting, flick DHCP on and off to "kick" the box into connecting again with the router, on wireless this problem seems to be gone on the new firmware and previous, as the USB port is constantly working as its stays in contact with the router, this is the only rational way some of these boxs have had the issues of clearing chans after being on a FTA chan for more than 10 mins, could be wrong as I say, but its pointing to it

16. bee9791

bee9791 Member

Any tips on the wireless USB u use or which are best to use most compatible? Good work must have a look and test out! Still a very reasonable box and impressing me once again with the new firmware!

17. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Wifi-Wireles...SB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item51a5690d6f

Thats the one i got, dont overheat like that cheaper ones and works with all the Sat boxs, its the RALINK chipset, the signal I get is 99% and picks up the next door neighbours at 94%, so its a decent one

But the ethernet ports on some of these have to be the issue, everyone uses the same firmware, some clear chans some dont, so it cant be the firmware, that leaves the actual box and the router, I have tried others boxs and all work, wireless and wired, so its not the router, that leaves the box, the only thing that seems to be a problem is the port, i tried this box on a wired connection and it done the same, wouldnt clear, so I updated the firmware to the new version and on wireless seems to be fine, Now I wonder if they choppy CCAM is now fixed on the new firmware, as the last lot was dreadful

18. bee9791

bee9791 Member

Hi Mickah,

I have tried the wireless USB and I find it good. The only problem for me is that it's not connecting automatically. Is there a way of triggering it to connect once the box starts. I have had to manually connect when the box has started.

Cheers

19. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

select your router and press the green button it saves it as a fav and it will connect automatically then on

20. bee9791

bee9791 Member

Thanks Mickah, a great investment!