1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slave Hard Drive Problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by souljah, May 2, 2005.

1. souljah

souljah Member

Hi, this is my first post so please be kind.

i had a slave hard drive(3gig) about a week ago, but had to format it yesterday. when i started my whole pc up from sctarch (installing all the software) i relised that my slave hard drive was not being recognised. when i go to control panel> system> hardware> device manager> disk drives, i can see my slave hard drive listed alongside my main one. but when i go to my computer, i can only see my main hard drive listed. any body help, all my music was on that drive

i would appreciate the replies.

regards
    OmegaSnake

2. souljah

souljah Member

by the way, OmegaSnake is my second alias

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you partition & format the 3gig drive after reloading software on c:drive??

4. ringofire

ringofire Member

I had the same prob a few days ago. My new westerndigital drive came with a CD of installation tools. I had to use that disc to format and partition the slave drive. It would not show up till I did. If you are trying to save the contents of the 3 G drive. might try hooking it up as primary see if it will boot. Does it have windows on it? and copy it to a DVD? thats how I transfered most of my data. That CD that came with my new drive also had a transfer contents program built into it. Does the CD that came with your new drive have that? good luck

5. souljah

souljah Member

hmmmmm..... dunno really.
    wat effect does it have on the drive.

i think i did. oops

6. souljah

souljah Member

my drive did not have software (3gig). can i fix my hard drive problem.

7. mikey_ray

mikey_ray Guest

sometimes you need a driver to see the slave drive--and if you formattaed the 3gig drive then all your music is gone---

if you see it under device manager then it is there

so disable it there and then enable it again --see waht happens

or delete it under device manager and then above click on scan for hardware changes --and see if it finds it---if all else fails take out the hard drive check the jumper in the back make sure it is on slave and place it in again see what happens

8. ddp

what windows are you using??

9. souljah

souljah Member

windows xp profesional. is ther any way where i can download universal drivers to make the hard drive work?

10. souljah

souljah Member

i also tryed enabling and disabling it. i check my bios setting regarding slave drive. the funny thing is that on the bios setting, it recognises the slave drive.

11. ddp

12. ringofire

ringofire Member

So did you format the 3 gig drive? Like the other guy said if you did the music gone. So if its erased (only if it is ) you need to partition it then windows will see it under my computer (at least thats how it worked on mine) . mine was doing the same thing device manager saw it , said it was working properly, BIOS saw it. just would not show up under my computer. as soon as I formated and partitioned it, it showed up. The issue is whether or not your data is still on the drive. If it is you need to recover it somehow then partion. [bold]If data it not there[/bold] then try this. Right click on my computer, go to manage, under storage click disc management. Hopefully your missing drive is there. right click and it should say format or partition. really need to make sure you have the correct drive selected too. so that you don't erase your main drive. hope that helps

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  13. souljah

souljah Member

i tryed to find my hard drive under the manage thing. i cant find it!

14. baabaa

baabaa Active member

If your hard drive is iedntified in the CMOS, and also in device manager, then it has to be in the management window, did you check in the correct area.

The hard drive will not show up in My computer if it hasn't been assigned a drive letter.....

Right click My computer
    Click on Manage
    Double click on Disk management

List us what is displayed there (briefly)

15. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

3 gig harddrive? Now i have seen everything.

16. ddp

just finished working on a customer's computer with a 1gig drive

17. mikey_ray

mikey_ray Guest

wow i used to have a 420 computer with 250 mb and ram of 4--

then a 1 gig drive came out and it was 200 dollars i bought it to add games like indiana jones and dig----gosh i would love to play those games again and find em---buit the new windows dont understand how to play them------

18. souljah

souljah Member

i finally sorted the problem out. i had to format and partition the drive again.

bye bye music!!!

anyway now i have another problem. the hard drive is a 3 gig hard drive but after partitioning it, it only says 1.83 gig. whats the deal with that. like i mentioned before, HELP!!! i want the rest of the space back.

19. super9394

super9394 Member

i have the same problem.

spec
    window xp pro
    3 hard drives installed-
    20gb primary main drive c drive with window xp
    40gb primary second drive (on bios and device manager)
    40gb secondary main drive

the 40gb primary second drive can be seen on my bios and on the device manager(says its working properly) but not on the my computer. i followed the instructions above to go to my computer>manager>disk management but i still cant see it there. (i properly looked.)

all the cables are correct and the settings are correct as it says so in my bios settings. there are no drivers for it as window xp does it automatically and seagate dont provide any.

i cant do a format as i cant see that drives in my computer or disk management. In the device manager there is not an option to format it.

please can anyone help

20. ddp

souljah, what format did you use, fat32 or ntfs?

super9394, what make are the hds on the primary cable & what are they jumpered as??