1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Sleep and shutdown issue

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by slo_byrne, Dec 9, 2014.

1. slo_byrne

slo_byrne Member

A few days ago I replaced my old Microsoft multimedia keyboard [ps/2 connector] with a new Steelseries Apex Raw keyboard [usb connector]. Now, with the MS keyboard, when I wanted to put the pc to sleep I just used the sleep button on the keyboard and it would go to sleep, to wake it up I used any key or mouse button and it would wake up just fine. As the Raw keyboard does not have a sleep button, I have to use the sleep function from the start icon in the task bar, [windows 7] when I do this the monitor goes off but the pc stays running and no matter which key or mouse button I push the monitor will not come back on. Why this should have anything to do with the new keyboard is lost on me, I therefore have to press and hold down the towers power button until the pc shuts down, then reboot, everything comes back on [after I select "start windows normally"] Now, there is another weird thing happening, when I try to shut the pc down, I go to the start icon and choose "shut down", it starts to shut down [ I get the "windows is shutting down"] and it just hangs and won't shut down and I have to go back to the towers power button to complete the shutdown. I've been to the control panel power options to make sure it is set for the new keyboard is set to wake up the pc but this is of little value when I'm unable to make it go to sleep or to shut down in the proper manner. I never had a issue like this before and I'm not really sure what I should do to correct it. Anyone have any thoughts, ideas or solutions that may help me out, it would be gratefully appreciated.
    Joe Byrne

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

do you still have the old keyboard to see if still have problem or not?

3. slo_byrne

slo_byrne Member

Thank you for the response. I put the old keyboard back in the system and the problem persisted, so I tried to uninstall the downloaded gaming software from SteelSeries website, it would start to uninstall then just hang, so it was back to the power button on the tower to shut it down. I did a system restore, the software was eliminated. I rebooted with the old keyboard in the system, did a shutdown from the start button successfully. Put the new keyboard back in the system, did a sleep, then a shutdown, both were successful. The whole problem was software driven. Everything is all good now, no more problems. Thanks for taking the time to read about my issue, just wondering how many others out there are having the same issues I had, maybe they'll read this and know just what the'll have to do to correct their problem. Thanks again.
    Joe