1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Sleep' mode in Vista doesn't always power off?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Wpsp, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Wpsp

Wpsp Regular member

I very rarely shutdown my pc, however I mostly put it in sleep mode when finished with it. I am running Vista Ultimate x64 and I have noticed lately; that around once in every 4-5 times of putting the pc into sleep mode, the pc doesn't actually power off completely. The display turns off, but the fans/lights etc.. continue to run. (forcing me to power off with the 'power' on/off button)

When this happened today, I decided to leave it running and see what would happen. After about 5-10 minutes the display turned itself back on with a blue screen but i didn't have chance to read any of the white text. (the only word i caught was 'driver')
    It then restarted.

Why might this be?

...I regularly switch display profiles in ATI CCC from a 19" 1440x900 monitor to a 32" 1920x1080 TV. The reason i mentioned this is because after restarting, my desktop icons have always moved from their original positions. Though I always switch back to my 19" monitor, before putting it to sleep with no movements in icons.

I don't know if my problem could perhaps be related to display drivers.

2. Wpsp

Wpsp Regular member

anyone?