1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SLI

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bartsimso, Mar 19, 2005.

1. bartsimso

bartsimso Member

Whats your opinion on SLI? Whats the best motherboard with SLI?

Thanks

2. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

See what Nvidia recommends. Also check out Asus since they are usually ahead of the times.

3. Divinus

Divinus Guest

My opinion would be that's it's only for people with insane budgets to back up their insane ego (internet ego of course). Nah, just kidding, lol.

Honestly, I do think it's overkill, though. The last benchmarks I saw had 2 6600GTs not even matching one 6800 Ultra, so basically it's near worthless, IMO, of course.

And who would need two 6800 Ultras? Needless to say, the need of this setup is very limited and only caters to the super rich.

4. haimback

haimback Regular member

Asus A8N SLI deluxe

5. rishi101

rishi101 Member

Alrighty, SLI is not only for the rich...its for serious gamers, or photo editors and stuff. They need the raw power. And it has been proven that SLI Improves system performance greatly. And right now the Asus board can not contest to the new MSI K8 Neo4 Platinum SLI board. I just bought one with a 6600gt and an amd 64 3000+. So dont just say that SLI is for the rich, becuase im an average guy. And anything is possible if you just save your money for it.

6. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Well, seeing as you misread I'll retype it for you.

In the first sentence I noted that I was just kidding about the being rich part. In the last sentence I was talking about a setup that would include 2x6800 Ultras. Which, obviously doesn't mean you'd have to be rich, but means you'd have to have extra cash to spend.

Again, IMO, of course. It is overkill. I'm not sure of the legitimacy of the review I read (was on tom's hardware a few months back), but they ran a setup with 2x6600GTs in SLI; I believe on a Gigabyte board (not sure about that), and the other system with a single 6800 Ultra. The two 6600GT's were still slower together than the single 6800 Ultra.

You are right about one thing; you'd have to be a [bold]serious[/bold] gamer.

I suppose it's all about the person, though. I run most games with medium-high settings, and @ 1024x768. Even on higher end computers I really don't notice any difference at higher resolutions, etc...

I suppose I am saying that if you're an [bold]average[/bold] gamer (like me), then SLI is probably overkill for the time being.

7. rishi101

rishi101 Member

Sorry I misread. Anyways your right, for an average gamer like me i dont need SLI, but my brother does so thats the only reason I bought it. And yes IT IS OVERKILL lol. And once again sorry.