1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SLLOOOOOW burns???

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Eromezis, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Eromezis

Eromezis Member

I recently reformatted my hardrive and installed a new 160 GB seagate slave drive on my system. I also upgraded to the latest version of Nero. For some reason, burning a dvd is taking a lot longer than it used to now. I have a Pioneer DVR-108 which burns up to 16x. It will burn at 12x on the memorex 8x media. It worked fine before. Now it is taking about 30-35 minutes to burn a normal 4.5 GB dvd, when it should take 6 minutes max. Anybody have any clue as to what might be causing this? I am clueless.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey eromezis, I am a newbie but is sounds like a media problem. Memorex are notorious about having them produced by many different manufacturers. I heard they use at least 4. There is a lot of quality issues with them and most of us in these forums don't waste our time with them. Also sounds like you are maxing them out on lower speed media. That could also cause you problems.Looks like you got a quality burner. Are you using + or - media? I have been checking out new burners and noticed some of them burn the - a lot slower. You might try new media like verbatim,riteck ridata,or maxell. Good luck

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

saugmon is right on about your media, memorex is crap, and about burns are faster with +R over -R with a lot of burners.

Here is a good link that is probably cheaper than what you are paying for Memorex, these are + and - Riteks, always buy BRANDED media:

http://store.yahoo.com/meritline/ritek-g04-dvd-r-dvde-blank-media-disc-discs.html

One final note, The faster the burn speed, the greater the chance for errors, especially on troublesome files. You'll see most of the forum burns at 4x or less, 1x on games. I can burn up to 12x, but NEVER go over 4x on anything I plan on keeping.

I don't understand why someone would want to save 10 or 15 minutes on something that will last your lifetime if burned properly at a slower speed. I can't count the people whose problems I've solved simply by slowing their burn speed and changing to quality media.

Anyway, I digress, LOL, good luck however you decide to go :>)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  4. ripper357

ripper357 Member

Im haveing the same problem but I have a maxtor 200gb drive. Then I tried this and got error when ever i reboot that says "Driver is not intended for this plat form"
    Go to Device manager> IDE ATAPI controllers>
    Check the 1st and secondary IDE controller. One at a time, please.
    This is how.
    Double click the 1st IDE controller, now under the advanced tab,
    be sure the transfer mode is at DMA if available.
    If not, change it to that.
    Do the same for the 2nd controller.
    Then reboot.
    If this doesnt change the transfer mode to DMA, then you will have to uninstall the IDE controllers.
    Right click the IDE controller and left click uninstall.
    Also uninstall your burner using the same method, right click the burner and left click unistall.
    You can do this for both. Then reboot. Xp will automatically reinstall them and this should fix the slow burn issue.

5. scarface_

scarface_ Guest

hey whats up, Im new here and I am looking for some help. I have a plextor px-708a and I was told it was a pretty decent burner but I am having my doubts. using platX express it takes 45 to 50 min to read the movie and then it would take 10 min to burn now it takes the same amount of time that it takes to read it. I have 2.0ghz pentium 4 cpu. Any help would be deeply appreciated!!

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

No.1-it's hard on your burner to read, I would use my DVD-ROM drive if you have one, this will increase your burner's life dramatically.

No.2- At what speed are you reading at?
    And, what speed media are you using to burn at?
    (what's the brand name of the media too?)

No.3- Make sure your IDE settings are DMA, not PIO. Sometimes they can revert back.

No.4- have you tried another software, like maybe shrink and decrypter(both free here in AD) to compare speeds?

BTW, I have that burner, the external model, and all I can say is A+++++, thumbs up. It is excellent. Also, that P4 isn't the fastest in the book either, but should do fine for DVD work.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2004
  7. scarface_

scarface_ Guest

I do have a dvd rom. So how do I read from there? also I'm reading at 4x and the media being used are several actually I've tried dvd-r and +r by fugi film, sony, tdk and maxwell. I purchased this software because I was told it was the best. I'm gonna give those you mentioned a shot because since I bought this software it has been slow. I also checked and one of my channels were pio but I fixed it then tried to burn... same thing. 50 min to read. thanks for the fast response.

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

hmmm....You didn't say what speed you were burning at, (your media speed).

Also, I hate to tell ya this, but it's(321 products) probably one of the worst softwares, Shrink and decrypter do a much better job, if you need it, I have a simple shrink guide i wrote you can have.

As far as reading with your DVD-ROM, just insert the movie and with your software, browse to that drive for your source video. That's it.

Your read speed of 4x is fine, you could go a little faster, but remember, both in reading and writing, slower speeds are preferable. If you have a particularly hard disc to rip, a slower read will sometimes do better for ripping, and I never burn at over 4x for movies, 1x for games

Decrypter is probably the best ripper out there, I use it to rip if my software I'm using can't. And shrink has much better quality than what you're using, especially if you use the quality settings, which I HIGHLY recommend :>)

9. scarface_

scarface_ Guest

Thanks for your help. I would like to have the software you use. where can I get it. someone had told me 321 plat x was the best and the price wasn't cheap either. But you win some you lose some. Thanks

10. CJC

CJC Regular member

DVD Shrink , DVD Decrypter and a Demo version of Nero can all be downloaded from the AfterDawn Software page. Or by clicking on their names here.

CJC

Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  11. scarface_

scarface_ Guest

thanks CJC

12. Eromezis

Eromezis Member

Hello, me again. Well, I tried some Verbatim 4x and some +R media that I could get my hands on and the same thing is still happening. How come it is taking 40 minutes to burn??? Even at 4x it should only take about 15 minutes at the most. I think it has to be either a.) glitch in the latest version of Nero or b.)some type of problem with the data transfer from my hard drive to the burner. I don't know how to fix it though. I am going to try uninstalling Nero and re-installing my old version and see if that helps. If that doesn't fix it, then I don't know what to do.

13. Eromezis

Eromezis Member

I checked the transfer modes on my hard drives. They are both set to DMA mode if available. The only problem is that my Primary hard drive says its current mode is PIO. I know it is an Ultra DMA hard drive, but I cant get the transfer mode to change. I tried uninstalling the drive and the IDE controller. It did not fix the issue. SOMEBODY HEEELP!!

14. Eromezis

Eromezis Member

Turns out the drive that is in PIO mode is my new 160 GB drive. The operating system just won't let it be recognized as DMA for some reason, even though the drive is set up for DMA. How can I fix this?