1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow burning/ripping help!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by deadhed95, Dec 12, 2004.

1. deadhed95

deadhed95 Guest

I have the Sony DRU-700A. Its only about 4 months old and has never had any problems. The last week or so it has been burning and ripping movies a lot slower than usual. With DVD shrink instead of the decoding taking 30 mins, it is taking an hour and a half. When burning it is also taking a lot longer. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Thanks a lot.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Is DMA still enabled for the drive?

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

It's the "Current Transfer Mode" that counts. If the drive's in PIO mode then try these steps to correct it:

Go to Device Manager >

Expand the tree for DVD/CD ROM Drives >

Find the drive in question, right click it and go to Properties >

Under the Driver tab, select Uninstall then OK.

Now reboot and Windows should detect and reinstall the drive.

If this doesn't help try the same steps as above except expand the tree for IDE ATA/ATA Controllers and uninstall either the Primary or Secondary controller depending on which one the drive in question is attatched to. Nero Info Tool can tell you which chain the drive is on under the Configuration tab.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm

3. deadhed95

deadhed95 Guest

alright thanks a lot. I'll try that. Thanks again

4. deadhed95

deadhed95 Guest

that didn't seem to help. My rate is real low though. I am not sure if maybe it helped, and DVD Shrink is messed up. I haven't tried to burn anything yet, so maybe it helped and I don't know yet. Right now I am encoding a movie I am backing up, and the rate is only about 1,800 kb/s. So I have no idea what is wrong. Is it possible that my burner is dead? It is basically brand new though :< anyone else have any ideas I can try? thanks

5. Nephilim

So, for clarity's sake both IDE's and all your devices are running in DMA mode?

6. deadhed95

deadhed95 Guest

no, my DVD burner was set to Transfer mode:DMA If available and current Transfer Mode:pIO Mode. So I changed the Transfer mode from DMA if available to PIO Only. My other CD drive is set to DMA If available and Ultra DMA Mode 2. Those are both the settings for device one. Do I need to change device 2 at all?

7. deadhed95

deadhed95 Guest

ok sorry I figured out what I did wrong. I didn't uninstall the whole channel. they were both on my second channel, and I thought that they were listed as seperate devices under the IDE controller tab. Thanks a lot. Its working great now.

8. Nephilim

Anytime. Happy burning :)