1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow Burning Speeds

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by mrbooze, Jan 29, 2007.

1. mrbooze

mrbooze Guest

Me and my friends have been sharing films for years.Recently however my PC that i burn my discs on has been doing so very very slowly. DVD discs used to take about ten minutes now they are taking over half an hour. Have tried burning using both Nero and Alcohol 120 but both seem to be copying at X1.5 to X2.0 speed.I though that it was a problem with my burners so i replaced them with LG x18 speed ones but still the same.......anyone got any advice or reasoning why this should happen.

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Sounds like your drive has somehow jumped into PIO mode. Try this:

To ensure your drives are operating in DMA mode: (1) Control Panel, (2) System, (3) Goto the Hardware Tab, (4) Device Manager, (5) IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, (6) Right Click on Primary IDE Channel --> Properties, (7) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK,(8) Right Click on Seconady IDE Channel --> Properties, (9) Goto the Advanced Settings Tab, Make sure both drop down boxes say 'DMA if Available', Click OK, (10) Reboot.(Thanks to Praetor)
    Good luck!

3. mrbooze

mrbooze Guest

Thankyou for your reply, ihave done what you said and checked the settings they are both in the DMA mode any other thoughts?

4. JVC

JVC Active member

Try defragging your hard drive(s).
    If the files are being put on a badly fragmented drive, it could take longer to burn, because of having to search for all the pieces. When burning dvds regularly, you should defrag every couple of weeks, to keep the HD clean and working smooth.
    Good luck!