1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow Capture Rate

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Flyxr250, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Flyxr250

Flyxr250 Member

Hi, i have a Samsung DV camera and it has both usb and 1394 ports on it. Unfortunately i am running windows and do not have firewire ports on my comp. I do have access to a mac, but my main comp has usb 2.0 ports. I needed to know if i should get the extra cable to use firewire, or if usb will do fine. However, when running the capture program in windows i am only getiing like 5-10 f/s. THrough other programs i have used, though, i am not able to get the audio to transfer. What should i do?

2. scottmac

scottmac Member

No real way round it as far as i know though i am no expert. Buy a firwire card which will have a couple of ports on it at least. I got a brand new card plus cable on e-bay for £22. It comes with instructions or you can always check out the forums for a step by step guide. I had never taken the back of a pc and i fitted my new firewire card in 15 mins!! Get a dv cable and you will be capturing to your hearts content in minutes few.

3. amigo_rk

amigo_rk Member

I have been using a firewire cable to transfer video from my Sony digital8 camcoder to PC and it is working great!

4. euphrus

euphrus Member

If you are dropping frames (sounds like you are)
    try the following before you capture:
    1. defragment drives
    2. disable internet service
    3. disable anti-virus software
    4. disable all un-necessary processes (almost all)

Also useful if you read blackviper.com information on services