1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow Computer(XP and Trend Micro)

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by guitarroc, Mar 1, 2007.

1. guitarroc

guitarroc Member

I am working on a friend's laptop. She had asked me to look at it because on monday it started loading and running as slow as can be. When it finally does load to the desktop, which usually takes about 20 minutes at least, if not more, I get at least 2 error messages saying windows has encountered a problem and needs to close. The 1st is for a PCCMDCOM(which sometimes pops up twice). The 2nd is pccguide.exe, which I know is a process for the Security on the computer, Trend Micro Internet Security 2007. I ran a V-scan of the computer when I was actually able to get the program to load, and it found nothing. Even after it is loaded, clicking on anything, including the start menu, usually takes at least a few minutes to actually register. Windows Security Center always shows wanrings about no firewall, etc, on at 1st, but usually goes away. The trend micro is always the last program to load. I am really beginning to wonder if it is something with that, or something affecting that program. Other processes starting up at load are normal ones such as the network stuff, and the hotsync for palm pilot and a pointing device icon load in the systray. The compute ris running XP home. If anyone has any ideas or has experiend this, please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

do a disk clean up scan for virus,spyware, defrag clean up the start up items like take the ones out that don't need to be there

3. guitarroc

guitarroc Member

Already done all that, didn't do anything really

4. ireland

ireland Active member

could be this

It also spreads by exploiting the Microsoft Windows Plug ... PCCMDCOM.EXE. PCCSPYUI.EXE. PCCTLCOM.EXE. PCCTOOL.EXE. PCCVSCAN.EXE. PER.EXE. PFW.EXE. PHANTOM.EXE ...

W32.Fanbot.A@mm is a mass-mailing worm that lowers security settings on the compromised computer. It also spreads by exploiting the Microsoft Windows Plug and Play Buffer Overflow Vulnerability (described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-039) and through peer-to-peer networks.

Also Known As: W32/Fanbot-H [Sophos], WORM_FANBOT.A [Trend Micro]

Type: Worm
    Infection Length: 44,032 bytes

Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.fanbot.a@mm.html

do a search for this on the net
    PCCMDCOM