1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow FTP transfer rate

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by JFletch99, Dec 8, 2004.

1. JFletch99

JFletch99 Member

I am in the process of transferring h2 files from the d: on the box( to my pc of course). It has been transferring for over 3 hours and still hasn't even reached 500mb. My network is through a router w/o crossover cables. Will crossover cables speed this process up??? I mean a full game should generally only take 10-15 minutes right??? Please help

2. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

That might be your problem. Also, a direct connection might help to. I have a buslink NIC card (that came with my DSL, hehe) and I used a crossover cable and plugged it directly in my xbox, and the other end in the NIC card. Because you're sharing a connection with your router, it might take longer than usual. I think it took me only 20 minutes to transfer H2. But I suggest trying a crossover cable. Radioshack sells them for like $10.

3. JFletch99

JFletch99 Member

thanks i'll give that a shot

4. JFletch99

JFletch99 Member

ok this didn't work. I actually went and bought crossover cable, and a 2nd nic card. So I have the box connected to the pc through the 2nd nic card using the crossover cable and my transfer rate is about 30kb..... why is this so slow... are there any alternatives like just being able to copy the disk to the box hd... i was reading about dvd2xbox.... is this a app that an do this for me

5. fadedindi

fadedindi Member

Make sure you don't have any kind of bandwidth limiter protocol installed on your network card.

Are your NICs 10/100 or higher?

6. JFletch99

JFletch99 Member

yes I just bought the card, and I now have the crossver and the xbox is plugged directly in to the pc. i am using cuteftp pro. does it matter whether or not what menu my xbox is on, like the bios screen or the evox board

7. punqewe

punqewe Active member

weird,I run my connection through a crosswire using a gigabit NIC. I just use it cause it was on sale and for the elimination of bottlenecks. Anyways,check in your evox settings to see if you're getting a half or full duplex connection. If you have a full duplex then that's the best your box can give,and it's probably your NIC or some settings that are pc based.

Oh yeah,my transfer speeds are averaging 10-13 thousand Kb per second.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  8. fadedindi

fadedindi Member

Yeah, it's probably something setting you your PC. Try uninstalling the NIC and reinstalling it and try again. Make sure you have right drivers. This is very odd, I get about 10,000 KB/s transfer rates.

9. JFletch99

JFletch99 Member

no cuteftp just plain f****** sucks, i have fxp now and the speed is night and day, go figure. of course now that the speed issue is resolved i cant get xbmc to work i have all the files in c:apps/xbmc... i am running evox no double folder default.xbe is where it should be, but when i go to apps in evo nothing is there

10. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

10/100. I used the D-Link Buscard that came with my DSL for my laptop :D

It needs to be on the dashboard screen. As long as you're not playing any games, you're fine.

It's not in the C: drive? Then how are you running Evox? Try transferring another default.xbe file over (if you made a backup).

Secondly, you DON'T PUT YOUR APPS IN YOUR C: DRIVE!!!! That's your problem! Put them in your E: or, if you have a big hdd, your F: DRIVE! It should look like E:/Apps/XMBC or F:/Apps/XMBC

It should work :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  11. DynatyxXx

DynatyxXx Regular member

oh brother.just dont use passive mode and use flashfxp and to boost it up a bit get FileBooster from www.xbox-scene.com

12. groggy23

groggy23 Guest

I'm having the same trouble just not as slow. I made my own crossover cable by cutting and twising the end together so its A to B instead of A to A.. Anyway, I have windows XP runnin flashfxp with a realtek NIC set at 100 FULL as well as the xbox is also set at 100 full. Im getting rates around 400-1000KB/s though. I know that it should be faster. I do have all background programs closed and everything so the CPU is not choking the transfer in anyway i don't think. Anyone have any suggestions?