1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow ftp upload? (Solved)

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by warfront1, Jan 6, 2010.

1. warfront1

warfront1 Member

Its just one thing after a next with my damn xbox. Just had a thread where i was like 1/100000 people with a bad Action replay.

Anyway now out of no where my ftp is uploading at 100kb/s.....
    I tried 2 different computers, 3 different ftp's, and still the same 100 kb/s give or take 10 kb.

Yesterday I transferred a 700mb file in like under 8 minutes I believe, what happened? I have only ftped movies over twice......

Setup:
    Linksys gaming adapter (complete piece of trash btw, but works)
    modded xbox :p

It's wireless but I was able to put a movie on it in 8 minutes, I try today and it says 2 hours and 30 minutes lol.

*Note* If anyone has a link to a place where I can buy that 4gb compatible flash drive, please post it. Its well worth the 10 dollars, but I can't find the damn thing anywhere. Only newer models.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried transferring via ethernet ?, at the very least you can easily determine if the problem is due to wireless or an xbox setting.

As good as wireless is (in fact see my signature for my router setups), when it comes to xboxes i keep everything wired, i used to have dreadful (and intermittent) transfer rates over wifi.

3. scum101

scum101 Guest

It will be that wireless thing.. the xbox is set only for 10/100 autonegotiate.. that's all it's software knows.

Could be the hdd is getting full.. ftp speeds vary depending on content

4. warfront1

warfront1 Member

100 kb/s.... I understand it will be slower than normal but that's just ridiculous. I will try hooking it directly up to my router to see if it fixes my problem.

Although I was really trying to avoid running a damn cat5e cable through my house.

5. creaky

I was thinking of the above as more of a quick and easy test to see if you can pinpoint the culprit.

At my folks house the way around trailing wires was/is to have a router upstairs and another downstairs (cable modem is downstairs too), the two routers ie the two floors are connected wirelessly (WDS) and everything on each floor connected to that floor's router.
    That solved connectivity issues and everything is on one huge network.

This place is all on one floor and there just happened to be a hole in the wall from the lounge to my computer room, so the HTPC, games consoles and lounge router are all wired to the main router in the next (computer) room, there's another router in the other bedroom wired to the main computer room (managed to tuck an ethernet cable under the carpet). This way all the pc's and games consoles are on one large wired network and the routers give sufficient wifi coverage for laptops and G/F's netbook (she likes her soaps).

I have a proper gaming router somewhere, they're just cut-down routers really and not very good, and i always found communication between pc's and xbox to be crap over wifi, but connected the way i described in the above two setups, wifi works better wired.

Just thought i'd mention that in case it helps further down the line.

edited for crap spelling

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  6. warfront1

warfront1 Member

I'm going to test it first, if its slow over a cat5e, I may just take a mallet to the xbox and buy a western digital media center.

But if its faster I'll run the cable underneath my house(fun job lol)

7. scum101

scum101 Guest

it won't be the xbox settings at fault.. if anything it's going to be that wireless thing handling some other persons hacked in traffic or just bad signal.. or it could be your pc is screwed up.

8. warfront1

warfront1 Member

I live in the middle of nowhere lol.

[​IMG]

And over my network it should technically be faster lol...

9. warfront1

warfront1 Member

fixed problem.

I upgraded to an 80gb hard drive and It seems to work fine over ftp now.

10. creaky

Nice one, cheers for letting us know.