1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow issue

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by after123, Dec 29, 2004.

1. after123

after123 Member

I have:

1) DOMINATOR 4-in-1 52X CD-RW + 16X DVD-ROM Internal Drive

2) SONY DVD-RW DRU710A 16x Internal DVD+R Double Layer DVD+RW Drive

3) AnyDVD (latest version)

4) Clone DVD (latest version)

5) Nero Ultra edition (latest version)

6) DVD-R 8x (Fuji)

1st problem: I cannot do the DVD copy with using nero even AnyDVD is on

2nd problem: I tried to use the CloneDVD which was recommended by AnyDVD company; it tooks about 3 hrs to burn a DVD-R

Question:

a) I wonder wat's wrong? is it becuz of the jumper settings? which one supposed to be the master/slave?

b) or it is the drive that takes so long?

c) software?

d) media?

e) what's the process of burning the DVD on the fly (DVD copy)? is it supposed to be like: rip the DVD files into HD , then to DVD-R

Any help would be appreciated.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Are you using Nero's Recode 2?

I would make the dvd burner the master and the dvd rom the slave on the same ide channel.

Burning on the fly is not recommended. It's burning staight from the dvd to a blank. Doesn't store anything on your HD.

As far as your slow issues ... I would check your ide settings. Make sure they are set to dma

3. after123

after123 Member

1st of all, it is strange... cuz I never get the notification email. (even i check the email notifications checkbox)

1) I dun think I m using the recode 2 cuz i dun even know what is it ;p

2) I have the same setting burner: master; rom: slave

3) since u said burning on the fly is not recommended, how should i copy the DVD? just rip it on the HD, and then burn the image to the DVD-R?

4) What should I set my DMA setting?

4. hursty

hursty Active member

i had the same problem,no emails for days,hotmail.com..rubbish
    changed my email address,back to normal

5. after123

after123 Member

So... any suggestions?

1) I dun think I m using the recode 2 cuz i dun even know what is it ;p

2) I have the same setting burner: master; rom: slave

3) since u said burning on the fly is not recommended, how should i copy the DVD? just rip it on the HD, and then burn the image to the DVD-R?

4) What should I set my DMA setting?

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Ok one thing at a time.. first make sure your jumpers are set correctly. Whip out that paper that came with your Sony DVD burner and look at the options. Seeing that you have a ROM and a burner, Sony recccomends that the burner be plugged into the middle connector of the secondary IDE buss cable and the ROM be placed at the end connector of the same cable. Set the jumper on the burner to Slave and the jumper on the ROM to Master.

At any rate just make sure that whatever device is plugged into the end connector has its jumper set to Master, The device plugged into the middle connector should be set to Slave.

Once that is done you need to check how your IDE devices are talking to each other. The preferred method is DMA or Direct Memory Access.

The drill here is to open up your Device Manager, find the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and then change it from PIO to "DMA if available".

Here is how I get there:

Start> Right click My Computer and select properties. This opens the System Properties Menu. Select the Hardware tab, then click the Device Manager button.

Now a list should appear. Look it over until you find the list entry "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers".

Click on the + in the box to expand the entry. You should now see some entries for your Primary and Secondary IDE Channels.

You drives are probably on your Secondary IDE Channel so open it by double clicking on it. Another tabbed menu opens. From this menu select Advanced Settings.

This tab will have your drives listed as Device 0 and Device 1. What you need to check now is the Current Transfer Mode. It should say something like "Ultra DMA Mode 2" not "PIO".

If it does say PIO use the Transfer Mode drop-down menu to change it. Once you make any changes to Device 0 and/or Device 1, select OK.

At this point you reboot and go in again to make sure the changes "stuck". Sometimes they will not. If it has reverted back to PIO then the next thing to do is to actually go back to the Device Manager list and delete the Secondary IDE channel, reboot. Windows will reinstall the channel and it should be set to DMA at this point.

Whew!!
    Not hard to do at all. Check it out.

One last thing. Make sure you are doing all the normal computer maintenance. Defrag, Disc Clean-up etc. I have a Registry program I like to run to keep it tidy. A virus scan and adware removal are good to do as well.

Cheers,
    Frank

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  7. brobear

brobear Guest

A word on master/slave jumpers. On the rear of the drive there are three selections, Master/Slave/CSEL. Some computers use the CSEL position and automatically assign Master/Slave according to cable position. So, it is a good idea to check to see how your system is set up. Look at the back of the drive that came in the PC. If you have a Master or Slave jumper then do as fasfrank stated. If the drive has the jumper in CSEL, you put the jumper in CSEL for both.

8. after123

after123 Member

it is kind of strange that the way i solve this problem:

I was chating with a web rep of Sony tech support, and she suggested me not to use 2 burners(1 DVD-ROM & CDRW, and 1 DVD-RW) on the same IDE cable.

1) She suggested me to use only the Sony DVD-RW as the ONLY Drive(jumper as master) in the system. I tried that and basically I just removed the power of my DVD-ROM. It works perfect tat burning 4 Gigs stuff within 10 mins

2) I then tried to changed the jumper and settings to:

DVD-RW as slave
    DVD-ROM as master

and double check my settings on BIOS which I found out that the Drive 1 or Device 1 on my secondary IDE was off. So I switched it back and... I tested burning 4Gigs data;; it works fine.. tried to do a DVD to DVD copy ... burned in 15 mins....

It is just strange

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Nothing strange, you did manually what we often suggest. Disable the drives and let windows pick then up again. Speaking simply, the line of communicatdion starts to break down and the new pickup renews the link between the drive and OS.

10. after123

after123 Member

well... supposingly windows will pick up the new device settings once u install the new drives (i m using wind2k). Some devices installation requires restart.. and I did restart many times... it's not that the OS doesn't recognize the drive though but the drives went so slow...

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Nope, you sometimes have to disable the drives and let the PC pick them back up; not just install drivers and reboot the system.

12. brobear

brobear Guest

Have you ever thought of upgrading to XP?

13. after123

after123 Member

XP sucks!

2000 is still the best

14. brobear

brobear Guest

after123
    Many people agree with you. But it's still the best that microsoft has to offer. Ever wonder why 2000 didn't last much past 2000 and XP is currently the most popular OS? Could be the majority of people feel more strongly against the 2000 than you do about XP.

15. after123

after123 Member

u should check with ppl at work... most of them still use 2000.

XP is ok in terms of new features and stuffs; in terms of whether or not it is a stable OS? 2000 is better; XP is still too buggy still. the SP2 has annoyed so many ppl already. I have been dealing with more problems with XP more than 2000 at work.

The comparison is like: windows 98 or windoes ME

and obviously 98 > ME

16. brobear

brobear Guest

In fixed environments, such as workplace PCs, you'll find SP2 is less a problem than with the general public. Another situation is the SP2 installed with a clean start with the OS or with a reformat works well. For some reason the bugs appear more in systems that have been up and running for a while with the SP1.

The XP is as stable or more stable than the 2000. So stability of the 2000 OS isn't the issue. One thing you find in a lot of businesses is not wanting to spend the time changing the OS in their many computers. If they work and do the job, leave them alone. That is the workplace ethic. The 2000 OS will disappear as the older PCs are phased out. That is the same thing that happened with 98.

I've been using PCs for quite a while and have used the various microsoft offerings. If you notice, ME and 2000 had a short run as the top OS being offered on new PCs. Hopefully microsoft will get Longhorn to where it is marketable, but I wouldn't want to go back and have to use the older operating systems instead of the current XP.

XP is the top OS on the market, you'll find the attacks on systems directed where they'll do the most damage. That's why you see more virus problems and security attacks on XP. I've seen them with the FireFox browser, but to a lesser extent. Most of the problems I've seen with XP are usually the cause of a user doing something they weren't supposed to and a similar stunt would have caused a problem with an older OS. Questionable and unauthorized software installations, browsing unauthorized websites, not observing PC security, and the list of infractions goes on. There is a bit of safety with some older OS, the hackers aren't paying less attention to them.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

BTW, I have XP with SP2 and have had it working for some time now. I started with a clean installation of XP Pro with SP2. I haven't had any more problems with it as any of the older systems. I liked the old 98, but as I said, I wouldn't want to go back to it. XP with the NTFS handles the bigger drives and the new software is geared more to the XP OS. There's nothing wrong with using the 2000 if it works for you and you like it. But like many things, it comes down to familiarity more than the qualities often attributed as the reason for keeping the older OS.

18. after123

after123 Member

"One thing you find in a lot of businesses is not wanting to spend the time changing the OS in their many computers. If they work and do the job, leave them alone. That is the workplace ethic. The 2000 OS will disappear as the older PCs are phased out. That is the same thing that happened with 98."

Well, that's true however, XP doesn't work well as expected. The reason why ppl dun wanna change it is that getting latest version is always good as long as the process is problem-free.

"XP is the top OS on the market, you'll find the attacks on systems directed where they'll do the most damage. That's why you see more virus problems and security attacks on XP. I've seen them with the FireFox browser, but to a lesser extent. Most of the problems I've seen with XP are usually the cause of a user doing something they weren't supposed to and a similar stunt would have caused a problem with an older OS. Questionable and unauthorized software installations, browsing unauthorized websites, not observing PC security, and the list of infractions goes on. There is a bit of safety with some older OS, the hackers aren't paying less attention to them."

XP is based on 2000 core; so if virus attack to XP, most of them will affect 2k as well. And user problems is always the problem regardless of using xp or 2000.
    Clean installation is always good but upgrades/patches is painful.

In short, we know what we doing. Of course, we won't get to many big issues. But basically, if ppl install anti-virus, anti-spyware, software and hardware firewall, do patches, everything will just be fine. Difference between XP and 2000 is just bells and whistles.

It's just a matter of fact that new version(s) is just about $$$.

19. brobear

brobear Guest

Dollars and increased abilities. It's all about the bells and whistles. Otherwise we'd be back with DOS programs and Windows 95. Ask any IT engineer, it's not the core program that hackers attack. It's weaknesses in the ports and other peripheral aspects of an OS that allow a breakin. Also, if you want to look at likenesses, you can see a resemblance between microsoft versions all the way up from the beginning of Windows.

You've made it obvious you're a proponent of 2000 as it is your favorite OS. You say XP is just a glorified version from the same core with more bells and whistles. Good sales job. As many people go for the extra bells and whistles to accomplish newer tasks, sold; XP it is until the newer OS arrives.

20. after123

after123 Member

You've got a point... what I gonna say may off the topic a bit... Somehow with all the manpower and $$$, MS should have done much better with its OS (as of now XP is the latest in the market). It's a shame that its OS is more buggy that the previous one, or the other reason is just to make $$$ off from us by creating so many versions.

my favorite OS is not be 2000, it's just that i personally feel 2000 is better than XP. Anyhow, I think we should stop here lol; from DVD slow issue to OS.

Let's just hope MS can do a much better job later on. In the mean time, I start looking into Linux and other OS as well.

It was nice talking to u brobear.

:)