1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow Pc please help

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by Tunny, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Tunny

Tunny Member

Hi Guys,

Right i have a big problem in my eyes anyway, ill start from the begining then you will have a better picture.

I was with virgin media as my broadband provider and was very happy with my service, my pc ran pretty fast but at times slow, now im with Bt broadband and have nowt but problems, all the equipmeny is installed correctly but when i have come to restart my system it takes forever, in the bottom right hand corner i have loads of icons i dont even use which i have uninstalled but they still have not disapeared, is this anything to do with my pc rebooting slow? how do i set up my pc to start up faster or is this impossible and ive noticed my downloads and my browsing is far slower than before, if anybody knows how to help please help my kids are driving me bonkers.

Thanks in advance

2. Zer0ink

Zer0ink Regular member

kids and computers are a bad mix unless you prevent them from doing what they want

start by clicking "run" and type in msconfig

go to start up tab and uncheck programs that your not going to use everytime you turn it on ..ie: games, officexp

be sure of what it is before doing so .. if not sure, type it into yahoo search and read about it first

its a start

3. Zer0ink

Zer0ink Regular member

with that done

assuming youre running xp

run these after updating them

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition (never have more than one anti-virus installed at one time)

EMCO Malware Destroyer

SUPERAntiSpyware (Free Edition)

Spyware Terminator

Spybot - Search and Destroy

Ad-Aware SE

hijackthis (delete any line that has isp #, ie:209.45.65.103)

SpywareBlaster & McAfee SiteAdvisor after cleaning up your computer

these are all free and given my two thumbs up

found at http://www.snapfiles.com/

giving back what was so freely given to me at afterdawn.com... good luck from zer0ink

4. Tunny

Tunny Member

kids and computers are a bad mix unless you prevent them from doing what they want

start by clicking "run" and type in msconfig

go to start up tab and uncheck programs that your not going to use everytime you turn it on ..ie: games, officexp

be sure of what it is before doing so .. if not sure, type it into yahoo search and read about it first

its a start
    n Yep thanks for getting back to me, i tried your example but got lost can you give me a little more, please after all im not a PC whizz

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum