1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow Playback (literally everything!)

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by XRaptor, Feb 21, 2007.

1. XRaptor

XRaptor Member

I received this computer from a friend months ago, and the harddrive was literally clogged with infection and crap. I did my best to fix it up, and made it really far, but errors started to occur. I found a spare 160 GB harddrive and made the computer brand new again with Windows XP Professional with SP2.

When I first received the computer, games ran smooth for about 2 min, then it started to chop up for about the same time. After this occurence it would sustain itself and run smooth again, then chop up again. This cycle went on endlessly when I was streaming games, videos and music using Windows Media Player and online, flash content, anything of that matter. Surfing the net or browsing the computer ran smoothly and had no problems.

I assumed these choppy playback issues were because of infection, so I started brand new with a new harddrive and new OS, even a newer graphics card (a GeForce FX 5200) and an Iomega DVD-RW Drive, thinking these newer hardware would increase stability, reliability, and better performance of the system.

The odd thing is, playback is still the same, irritating, "choppiness". It literally "glitches", and recovers just as it did before the new hd installation/clean install of Windows XP Pro.

Here are some specs on my computer that I retrieved from direct x diagnostics (dxdiag):

Above are some main specs on the system info and graphics, before I got any updated driver.

so, i got the latest NVidia driver for my graphics card, and i rebooted the comp after installation. There is good news and bad news.

Bad news: Games run really choppy now, and I have not changed any settings before or after the installation of the updated driver. For instance, I have a game called Kumoon. Before, it would load up perfectly, then would be smooth for about 2 minutes and then would glitch in its cycle. Now, it glitches and slows down heavily when the game loads, and it is very choppy when I navigate through the menu and during gameplay constantly. A few other games that worked before now don't even load up anymore. How odd...

Good News: So far, with this new driver, I have experienced no glitches in video playback, but I have an odd feeling that it might glitch sooner or later.

If you would like any other specs posted, just reply back.

Any solutions? Anything is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and effort, and thanks in advance.

2. 56delray

56delray Regular member

1] This is very little RAM for XP [it is a RAM hog].
    2] Did you set the BOIS to match your GeForce FX 5200
    or was it the same as the old.
    3] Set the Page File to the system determined size.

edit
    4] Turn off as many Startup programs as you can
    5] Turn off as many Services as you can

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  3. XRaptor

XRaptor Member

I'm not sure how to set the BIOS to my Graphic card, nor do I know how to set a determined page file. That may be the problem, but I also forgot to note that the system is filled with dust! The fan always seems to be working overtime (because I can hear it spinning loudly whenever I load something up). I just havent the time to get a can of compressed air to clean the system out. Could this be the issue that is causing the glitching?

Anyways, thanks for the advice.

4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

The dust could be causing it, via a overheating issue. But those system specs are pretty lowly and in my opinion that PC is like the bare minimum for XP. Does it happen to be a Dell by chance?

5. ireland

ireland Active member

Just get more ram like 2-sticks of 256 or 512 + 256 ram..,256 does not cut it...

6. XRaptor

XRaptor Member

It's a compaq,with an Intel processor.

You're probably right about RAM hogging Windows XP operation.

7. 56delray

56delray Regular member

From Intel
    To change BIOS >Press to key that is shown during startup for settings. [F2 or maybe Delete]. Go down the menu and find the AGP or Video. Change it to match your card [128mb?].

Set Page File to system managed size would be my recommation for your PC.

Getting the dust out may be a good idea.

Know how to use "msconfig.exe."