1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow read speeds on Lite on 52x

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by gdog441, Oct 30, 2003.

1. gdog441

gdog441 Member

I got a lite on 52x24x52 CD-RW. It burns CDs at full speed, but when it tries to read them, it either freezes up or it reads it so slow that it takes forever. I can here the disk start to spin for 1 second then stop, and this happens repeatedly. It will not continue to spin. Using Win XP, Ahead Nero 6, and the drive right now is set on cable select with an older 24x cd rom drive. I have tried all the different jumper settings and combinations between the 2 drives and no solution. The 24x runs fine, reads at the speed it should. Ive used nero drive speed tools and info tools. They say its reads and writes at 52x, when i try and do the disk speed test, it wont spin the disk so it freezes, also, what is "spin down time" and what should it be set at? Mine is at 2 mins cause thats what it was at default.

2. gdog441

gdog441 Member

sorry about posting 2 times, didnt mean to tried to fix the typo thought it would undo it, everyone just ignore the other 1 and post on this one.

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Ignore what? ;-P

1. Check that your cd drives are not sitting in PIO mode.
    2. Set the spindown time to as high as it goes.
    3. Realize that 52x is the MAXIMUM speed at which transfers can take place. You will usually chill at 40x

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

^ A absolute must m8
    If it were me, switch cd-rom to master and Litey as slave. Be sure that you're using the latest firmware for your Litey and 48x or higher cd-r media. As a test, use a free burning program called burnatonce and burn a standard music cd.

Firmware update (if applicable):http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php
    burnatonce:http://www.burnatonce.com/downloads/

Shoey :)