1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow Rip Speed - Help!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by radar2000, Jan 1, 2010.

1. radar2000

radar2000 Member

Hi everyone.

When I try to rip a CD, I'm getting some very slow rip speeds. Here's what I'm using:

Windows 7
    Winamp Pro 5.571 & Windows Media Player 12
    Sony Vaio Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P7450 (2.13GHz)with Intel® Centrino® processor with Blu-ray Disc(which seems to be a Pioneer BD?), 4GB RAM.
    Lame version seems to be 3.98

When I'm ripping a CD to mp3, I'm getting 3 to 4 x speeds. The weird thing is, the bigger the ripping list the higher the ripping speed seems to increase. For example, if I have 10 songs that I'm ripping, the first song starts at 3X...by the middle it may reach 6x, then by the end of the list it might reach 8x.

The Blue-ray drive never seems to spin fast when ripping...seems like it's only coasting when ripping a cd.

Only on one occurrence did I get a speed of 20X??? ...and the Blue-ray drive was spinning like crazy.

I've adjusted both the Winamp and Windows Media Player rip settings, I've test different CD's, I've also tested ripping in both mp3 and wav...but still the same end result.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. radar2000

radar2000 Member

***Update*** I decided to plug in my external USB DVD burner drive (a 4 year old SONY DW-G120A device)

Write Speed
    DVD-R 16x
    DVD-RW 6x
    DVD-R DL 8x
    DVD+R 16x
    DVD+RW 8x
    DVD+R DL 8x
    DVD-RAM 5x
    CD-R 40x
    CD-RW 24x
    Read Speed
    DVD-ROM (single) Max 16x CAV
    DVD-ROM (dual) Max 8x CAV
    DVD-R, DVD+R Max 12x CAV
    DVD-RW,DVD+RW Max 12x CAV
    DVD+DL,DVD-DL MAX 8x CAV
    DVD-RAM Max 5x P-CAV
    CD-ROM, CD-R Max 40x CAV
    CD-RW Max 32x CAV

With this new plugged in device, I was able to rip a cd at 27X. So this now posses the question as to why my internal drive only burns at a max of 8x?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

3. Mez

Mez Active member

I really don't know but I suspect the reader (burner) is not reading your disk well. I suspect even those lower end rippers, Winamp Pro 5.571 & Windows Media Player 12 have error checking. They have to keep reading till it is sure it got the right value of the sector.

I would continue to use the USB drive. I suggest you try using a dedicated ripper. The best use Accurip they do not need to run a dozen reads to insure correctness. They only need one read if they get it right. EAC is for free and dbPowerAmp is a yearly subscription. I suggest going for free unless you rip a lot or rip rare CDs or scratched CDs or you can afford 25 USDs/yr. Because both use Accurip you will either get a perfect read or a warning. Poweramp is faster because it uses burst mode, the fastest read, for the first read. It will change modes if the first read wasn't right. It will rotate through an array of modes to get it right. EAC has different modes but they are set before the rip. I used it for many years but I have ripped my library and I have let my subscription laps. PA is a bit of a luxury. I suggest trying it out. You get 30 day free trial. You can burn a lot of disks in 30 days. I suggest load all the encoders in that time. After that you will not be able to rip but the converter and tag spy do not expire. It is the finest converter as well. I use the tag spy thousands of times a year. That is a must have. If you keep your arrow over an audio file you have the encoder for in file explorer you can see all the tag or meta data.

4. Sudds

Sudds Active member

There are many guides for setting up EAC, i use EAC to rip to flac for archiving, (got pissed off reripping all time, plus it shortens the life of your drive) and Poweramp for converting.

EAC Guide

5. Mez

Mez Active member

Sudds, what do you convert to? I find the Helix encoder to be great quality and superfast. I had to use LAME to degrade an audio book and I forgot just how slow it is even with a quick analysis. Helix only does HiFi. It is up to 50X faster than LAME and is a close second to LAME for quality. There is no hearable difference and you still have your lossless archive.

6. Sudds

Sudds Active member

I was converting to VBR mp3 at -V 1 setting, until i bought a DSi for my daughter for christmas, and was very surprised to find out that it will not play any form of mp3!
    Its only compatible with AAC, so rather than installing (bleh) iTunes and using iTunesencode with EAC i settled on neros recently released AAC codec 1.5.3.0 with dbpoweramp.
    Ripped afew of her cd,s at -q 6.5 a VBR of 250 (unlike iTunes which is constrained VBR) and was happy with that... until, out of pure curiosity i decided to abx between the mp3 and aac tracks... now i know you love mp3 Mez, but i gotta say the aac sounded better between the two, compared various types of music overall the mp3 sounded muffled on guitars and cymbals (mostly listen to rock, not great for abxing i know) compared to aac.
    Could you do a test Mez, just for speculation?

7. Mez

Mez Active member

Well that does sound like a worthy project. I am lazy and have just read theroy and opinions of others. What you stated flies in the face of what I "know" to be a fact. I guess it is time for me to get off my ass. I certainly believe you could hear the difference. I will say, what I listen to, HiFi VBRs are crisp and 'sparkly'. I marvel at the clarity of some of the older recordings that were ahead of their time. I believe I am a 'fidelity freak'. Some of the new recordings I listen to I swear sound better than if I was in the room listening live at 10 ft away. You can even hear where something touches the body of the guitar. I am sure the quality has to do with where the mics are placed. More than likely they are inside the guitar.

250 is as high as the Helix encoder goes and Lame V -1 is 220. Not that that should matter at all. What I read SAYS you can't tell the difference after 190. You were using Nero AAC? I do want to get the test right. I would be more than happy to eat my words if I learned something. I will need to find something 'sparkly' and get to work.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  8. Sudds

Sudds Active member

Yes Nero aac, on its download page it may say a different version but its not, nenwst release is 1.5.3.0

9. Mez

Mez Active member

No surprises on my end. Aac and the mp3 sounds exactly the same as does lossless. I wouldn't listen to mp3s if they did not sound great.

Maybe the DSi has HiFi ear buds. In the ear buds are all HiFi while most everything else is crap. There are very few listening devices that match or exceed the in the ear buds for fidelity. That would be the most simple explaination.

10. Sudds

Sudds Active member

I did use Sony inear buds during the test alright... never took that into consideration Mez.
    While it doesnt effect me as my device supports mp3, i now have to rerip all my daughters cd,s to aac!
    I think the DSi is the first device i have ever come across that doesnt support mp3.

11. Mez

Mez Active member

I like the Sansas because they play most audio formats.

The DSi sounds weird to me; even apple plays MP3s. I never heard a portable player not playing mp3s. Nintendo must have made a deal with Apple.

Back to my mystery. Did you listen to the AAC and the mp3 with the same ear buds? A V-1 mp3 and the HiFi AAC ought to sound the same. The are both overkill for anyone over 20. If the aac sounds better there is something wrong with the mp3 not that the AAC is superior technology. I find that hard to believe because you are using great tools. Still something could be screwed up. I would like to get to the bottom of this.

12. Sudds

Sudds Active member

I,ll do another test Mez, i,ll get back to you soon as.

13. Mez

Mez Active member

Try ripping to lossless then convert the mp3s and the aacs from the same file. You should not be able to tell the difference between any of the three if done right. I can't. I listen to far less hard rock and much more lighter ultra HiFi recordings. Blackmore's Night puts out some ultra HiFi recordings. The sound nice on lofi but fantastic on HiFi. With less fidelity you don't hear/feel all that is going on. Some low note are not reproduced.

14. Sudds

Sudds Active member

Ok, i have done various tests Mez with -V1 mp3 and -Q 0.65 aac both with around the same vbr, both encoded from flac with dbpoweramp.
    And your right, i couldnt hear the difference which really fustrated me, so i went back to my original music collection of mp3 and noticed that the song i listened to early on wasnt a vbr mp3 it was infact a cbr 320 mp3.
    So i set up the listening test again with the same song and there it was, a noticable difference between the vbr aac and the cbr mp3.
    Guitars sounding somewhat muffled on the mp3 which was ripped by eac encoded with lame.

15. Mez

Mez Active member

Something was wrong with the cbr file. It should also sound the same. It may have been ripped from a burned CD made from LoHi tunes. There is am infinite way to screw up audio and only a few ways to get it right. I have even heard screwed up lossless. That is harder to do. You have to be a real moron or have a very bad ear. After you are used to hearing HiFi you can detect crap pretty easily.

Thanks for getting back. That is how these myths start. Left to fester it would provide proof for some nonsense.

All HiFi sounds the same till you hit an artifact. AAC has many more known artifacts than LAME with none, or Helix which has very few and not 'hearable'. Even with AAC you might need to rip a hundred CDs till you get one you can hear.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  16. Sudds

Sudds Active member

I,am very picky about what lossy rips i listen too, i did rip that cd with eac to lame mp3 awhile ago, and it was with the most recent stable version of lame.
    I wouldnt say that i have acute hearing or anything, but i could notice a slight difference...
    We could sit hear and talk and do test apon test, but we would only bangin the skulls against a brick wall, lossy is just that, lossy, and am quite happy with my encodes, its only when you start to compare what you have is when it leads to disscussions like this, only i had to re-encode my daughters cd,s for her DSi i,d never of thought to compare codecs... again!

17. Mez

Mez Active member

We have the same attitude. I don't want to spend all my time testing either. We use good tools and let it go at that unless we hear something we don't like. Then we get off our asses and figure out what is going on.

As we get older and listen to a good deal of music two things happen. We continue to hear less and less high pitch and we learn to listen. Persons really into music use much more energy in our music listening center than teenagers and college students. I can easily detect LoFi music with poor hearing while my son who could hear mosquito tones could not. Even Mosquito tones are reproduced at 260 CBR and V-1. If you can't hear mosquito tones than those are over kill.