1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow Ripping w/EXTERNAL burner (Sony DRX-710ul)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by LB420, Feb 4, 2005.

1. LB420

LB420 Member

I'm using a 16x dual layer burner, however, the ripping speed is ridiculously slow. Probably somewhere b/t 1-2x.

CPU has been reformatted and also recently defragmented. Also, using DVD shrink w/Nero 6.

My burn speed is perfectly fine and I burn in 5 mins. Slow ripping is my only problem.

Since it's external, the DMA settings are not applicable. So what can I do to speed things up?

It's been difficult considering the majority of ppl use internal drive. Anyone's thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Maybe try ripping with DVD Decrypter(freeware). Not sure if that'll solve your problem, but sometimes a change of proggie can do wonders. Might as well give it a try while you're waiting for a more helpful answer.

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

The DMA settings may not matter but the type USB port does matter. If by chance you are running the external drive off a USB1 port, it will be very slow and may not even burn right. You need to be using a USB2 port. The data transfer rate through USB1 is way too slow.

Jerry

4. LB420

LB420 Member

Thank you for your responses.

I've had better success w/DVD shrink over DVD Decrypter in terms of speed when ripping...in most cases.

Also, I'm using a firewire 4pin.

Anybody else? I'm bout to tear my hair out w/this.

5. mwafb

mwafb Guest

I'm having the same problem. Not only ripping from my external in a firewire enclosure, but ripping from my internal dvd drive as well.

Any thoughts?

6. ModTech

ModTech Guest

Jerry746, can you tell me how to set the external burner to a USB2 port? I have the Sony burner and it is very slow.

7. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

USB2 is not a setting. Your PC (motherboard) has it or it doesn't. If you look at your PC specs through Control Panel, it will say whether your USB ports are 1.1 or 2.0. If you really can't afford to buy a new PC, they do sell adapter cards that will make your USB 1.1 ports adaptable to 2.0. Most likely, if your external burner is relatively new, it will already support USB 2.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2005
  8. ModTech

ModTech Guest

It just says USB Root Hub, it does not say 1 or 2. It also says standard USB Host controller Device Manager for USB.