1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow Startup For WinXP

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by angus999, Jul 16, 2007.

1. angus999

angus999 Regular member

Hi all, I'm having problems with my laptop, it takes about 6 or 7 minutes to startup.

I'm running a Compaq Presario, T2050 Dual Core Processor, 1Gb RAM, 120Gb HD. OS is WINXP SP2

Up until about 2 mths ago, it was starting up as normal. Now it takes ages.

I run AVG and Symantec for anti virus, Zone Alarm for firewall. I regularly run Adaware and CCleaner.

I have also ran WinUtilities. I have cut down lots of programs that used to open on startup, but still it hasn't improved performance.

I get the Welcome screen, then a blank light blue screen sits there for 5 minutes or so before the desktop appears.

Can anyone please help speed up my startup?

Thanks in advance.

2. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

click start run then type msconfig and go to the startup tab. uncheck all the stuf that you dont need, but if you dont know what it is leave it alone and find out what it does. also you can use bootvis to speed up start time.

[x009] Run BootVis - Improve Boot Times
    BootVis will significantly improve boot times
    1. Download and Run
    2. Select Trace
    3. Select Next Boot and Driver Trace
    4. A Trace Repetitions screen will appear, select OK and Reboot
    5. Upon reboot, BootVis will automatically start, analyze and log your system's boot process. When it's done, in the menu go to Trace and select Optimize System
    6. Reboot.
    7. When your machine has rebooted, wait until you see the Optimizing System box appear. Be patient and wait for the process to complete
    Bootvis can be found here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/BootVis.shtml

also i would download hijack this and run that then post the log in the virus section and see if they can help. and here is a guide to help speed up you computer and make it run better.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/535431

3. angus999

angus999 Regular member

Thanks krj15489,

I followed your instructions and my machine seems to be booting up a bit quicker. I have a HijackThis Log. Does it give away any of my security details when I publish iT? i.e. Do I need to edit it?

Thanks again

4. angus999

angus999 Regular member

Sorry about this, on rebooting again, i don't think bootvis has impoved it much, if at all

5. krj15489

krj15489 Active member

no none of your security stuff is in the hijackthis log. just post it in the virus section and you will get some help.

6. angus999

angus999 Regular member

ok thanks