1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slower Burn Speeds

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by LABOY, Feb 19, 2004.

1. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

I am puzzled. I have ripped and burned over 100 backups mostly with DVD+R at 2.4x and lately with DVD+R at 4x. About 2 days ago my burner will go no higher than 2X. Even with DVD+R (2.4X) or 4x DVD+R or 4X DVD-R. I am looking for cause and effect but have really done nothing different. I have a recently purchased Pent 4 (2.8) with 120HD and 512K RAM and a Pioneer 106D burner (multiformat) with original firmware. I have been ripping and compressing with DVD Shrink and burning with Record Now Max 4.5 using the user guide found in.www.chrismccann.co.uk....Just wondering if any of you longer time users have any idea why burner seems to lock up a 2x...Many thanks for your solutions.

2. mickz

mickz Member

Maybe the type of media you're using can only burn at 2x.

3. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

The media I am using is the same media that I have been using and have previously burned at 4X or 2.4X. It appears that the burner, which by the way is the OEM version of the Pioneer DVR 106D, is locked on 2X.
    Still can't figure it out...

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If you've used this burner at 4X before it won't spontaneously lock itself at 2X for burning. Sounds like your transfer rates aren't what they should be. Is DMA still enabled for your burner?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    Bald is Beautiful[/small]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2004
  5. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

Help me on this one. How do I check my DMA settings?I used Windows XP Home edition if that will help..

6. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

I found how to check DMA by using the search feature above. All settings are on "DMA if available".

7. snoopykid

snoopykid Guest

I'm having a similar problem. Both IDE are Ultra DMA if available. I'm using XP and TDK 8X DVD writer. I used to be able to burn my dvds at 8x, but I burned a music cd for my kid and I can only burn my dvds at 4x, my 8x speed is GONE.... I've used different media, uninstalled both the writer and IDE, nothing, nothing works. I will never burn a cd in my dvd writer ever again. How can I get my speed back, TDK will not help me because I am using DVD X Copy software????

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi guys, Most OEM burners made by Pioneer are firmware locked to about 2x rip and some are lockes to only burn certain media at 4x speed. To correct this, it needs to be flashed to a TRUE Pioneer 106D drive. However, this will void your warranty if you have any remaining. I took the chance with my Memorex Dual X1 because I can repair it if necessary. The results of re-flashing was great. It cut the rip times to 1/3 of the original firmware, and no restrictions on blank media now. If not done right, a re-flash can make your drive a paperweight.
    http://forum.rpc1.org for more information and firmware.

Jerry

9. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

Many thanks, however, I found that my problem was with that DMA was indeed disabled. I went into Hardware, Device Manager, uninstalled devices, re-booted and DMA was reinstalled at factory settings. I can now burn at 4X. I'll keep in mind the firmware flash, except my computer is only 2 months old with warranty in effect. I can live with a 30 minute Shrink rip and compress and a 14 minute burn for now....