1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slower CD burns with Taiyo-Yuden media?

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by griffinia, Oct 8, 2006.

1. griffinia

griffinia Member

I bought what was advertised as Taiyo Yuden 52X CD-R from GenesysDTP.com. They will burn at no better than 24X or 32X, respectively, on my Sony CDRW and Lite-On DVDRW drives. The TDK CDRs that I still have burn at 40X and 48X respectively - the fastest CDR burn speeds that these drives are capable of.

Any one know why?

Secondly, how can one be sure that you are buying genuine TY discs and not knockoffs? Can anyone vouch for GenesysDTP.com as a reliable source? I have been very happy with the 16X TY DVDRs that I bought previously from them.

Thanks.

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Your speeds could be to do with your drives compatibility. Anyway even with CD's it's not advisiable to burn realy fast...

I have never bought from that site so dunno, sorry.

3. Destra

Destra Regular member

If you have Nero you can try the InfoTool. Some of the really cheap knock offs don't even bother to have the proper ID. If you are having inconsistent burn issues though it could be a bad sign of cheap media. I am with Ripper though on CD burning speed. What's the difference between 5 and 2 minutes really. ;)

4. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I would suspect a firmware issue which may require you to flash to the latest version, but 52X CDRs have been around for awhile now. I guess you could check the MID with Nero InfoTool as there are TY fakes floating around.

5. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Every genuine Taiyo Yuden produced CD that I've ever seen has that beautiful metallic-greenish colored dye . . I've never seen an el cheapo disc use that color dye

And . . several weeks ago KMart had the MIJ FujiFilm CDs, you know the awesome TY produced babies for $7.99 buy a 50 pack . . get one free. 100 TY CDs for $7.99 was too much for me to handle so I purchased all that they had in stock. My overly patient wife is still harping at me and wondering just how long 2,000 CDs are going to last me

Victor

6. griffinia

griffinia Member

Well, mine definitely have the green dye. And InfoTool tells me that they are TY discs! So I can rely on geneSYSdtp.

Now the other point that several of you brought up - will it really make a quality difference to burn at slower speeds? The CDR and DVDRs that I have made at max speed seem to be fine.

and thanks to all for your responses!

7. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Well, burning at maxium speeds can go fine, however it is recommended that you burn at a slower speed. This will reduce the margin for error and result in better quality, longer lasting burns.

And hey, what's the diff. between waiting 4 mins or 7 mins etc.

8. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

The 40X drive will not be able to record any faster than 40X; the 48X drive is limited to 48X. If both drives record 52X Taiyo Yuden discs at 24X or 32X, the limit can be due to either the drive firmware or the software. There should be no problem with the quality of the recordings--slower recording speeds generally produce better results.

The green dye is cyanine. It produces very good recordings but is less stable in light/heat/humidity than the more common phthalocyanine. It is also less quick to react to laser power, which makes it ideal for 1X-2X recordings but less ideal for the fastest writing speeds. That may be the reason the drive manufacturers decided to slow down the recording speed when the drives see the ATIP code on the discs.