1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slowmotion after downloading from my Camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by k0k0m0, May 20, 2007.

1. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

Hi there

I've got a Panasonic MiniDV camcorder and tonite I was transferring some footage to my PC and when I checked the downloaded video on my hard drive both sound and image played like in slow motion!!!
    Not only my recent videos but ALL videos downloaded from my camcorder. All other videos, as well as MP3 play normally.

Any suggestion what to do? I'm puzzled.

This is what AVICodec says about my videos...

File : 312 MB (312 MB), duration: 0:01:26, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 98 %
    Video : 296 MB, 28930 Kbps, 29.970 fps, 720*480 (4:3), dvsd = Sony Digital Video, Supported
    Audio : 15.76 MB, 1536 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 0x1 = PCM, Supported

2. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

OK. More info:

Intel 2.8 Ghz
    1024 Mb RAM
    HD1 160 Mb (25 MB free)
    HD2 80 Mb (45 Mb free)

I ran codec detective and found these errors

[​IMG]

3. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

I guess you answered your own question...
    You have got a codec problem. Although I don;t know if it is realted to the errors that you found. These codecs should not be used at all when playing DV-AVI. The first thing that I should do is remove the Sony Digital Video Codec. You don't need it at all; Windows has an onboard dvds codec that works OK.
    A general remark: try to keep your system clean and don't install any codecs that you don't absolutely need. Theres is always the risk of conflicts and the fact that wrong codecs take over ownership of certain formats. I am therefor not very keen on codec packs that install a whole bunch of them on your system.

4. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

Thnx once again TPFKAS!
    You're helpful as usual!

Questions:

1) how do I uninstall a specific codec? When I use AVICodec, this very same codec (SOny digital bla bla) doesn't show up

2) how do I know WHICH codec to install for a specific file I cannot watch?

Thnx again buddy

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  5. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Sure, that is why I'm here: to help. And occasionaly I learn a bit more myself ;-)

Anyway, to uninstall a codec:
    Rightclick "My Computer"->Properties->Hardware tab->Device Manager->Sound,video and game controllers->Double-click Videocodecs->Properties tab
    You will now see a list of video codecs installed. I don't know how the Sony codec shows up, but you should try to find it and uninstall it from there.

A way to find out which codecs are used to play a file, you can use Gspot. You can also hav a direct look at the AVI tag inside the file using the program "abcAVI tag editor".

6. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

These are the actual codecs installed... do they look normal to you?
    [​IMG]

7. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Looks pretty clean. Most of them are codecs that are included in Windows.
    I see you have two VFW codecs: i420 and yv12. These are Helix codecs. Google for it fro som background info. I don't know if you absolutely need them, in any case not for your DV-AVI files.
    You also have installed a third party DV codec from Panasonic (pdvcodec.dll). That is a codec that is used to open DV-AVI's in VirtualDUB. It should not be a problem, but you can try to uninstall it and see if the slow motion effect is gone. But you will not be able to open DV-AVI's with Vdub anymore...

8. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

OK.

Did an install from zero (quick format included) and now XP starts faster and no longer playback problems... cross my fingers

Thanks for all!